Hell and Academia.

From: alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 95 18:54:27 BST

Andrew Joelson:
> David Cake suggests that the Crater has a bottom, I had always
> thought that it was bottomless via some mystic means.

"Bottomless" and "leads to Hell" are really equivalent concepts, for all practical and mythic purposes. The exact geography is a matter for speculation, since as Andrew notes, few sane people have seen it.

> By the way, I had heard once that the Castles of Lead have some
> sort of connection, allowing you to move from one to another directly.
> Is this true?

My understanding is that they're all really the same place on the Godplane (i.e., they're each _The_ Castle of Lead), so yup, with the right ritual you can go from one to any other, or from any to Hell (the fast way, if the trolls catch you).

Nick Brooke's Fronelan Model wistfully includes:
> Swedish blondes and Finnish saunas of Zoria. (It keeps me happy, anyway).

Is that the sound of birch branches, off, I hear? These English TotRM types rarely miss a chance to indulge their eponymous vice, do they?

On SCU's Brithini Boffins:
> Technically, the Chancellor, Dean, etc. of the University are Ancient
> Brithini; for all practical purposes, the place is run by the Vice-Chancellor
> and Junior Dean, and nobody wants to get the "real heads" involved in anything.

> SCU's terms [semesters to you colonials] and lecturing hours are
> very peculiar compared to the rest of the world). [...]

I'm surprised there haven't yet been objections to this from colonial types who have terms like sensible folk, or indeed from non-colonials who have semesters...

> a class of students (all of whom are 'disguised' in academic gowns [...])
> The language he uses will, of course, be the ancient Brithini tongue

While some of the above doubtless remains inscrutable to the outside world, I believe that some such pecularities will have been exported, by trendy Redbricks seeking to ape the trappings of the SCU Centre of Excellence. Hence students in the Ecclesiastical College of Leplain swanning around in strange robes, the VC running things while some self-serving non-academic big-wig holds the chancellorship as a mere sinecure, and degree ceremonies at least being conducted in Brithini. (The presence of Brithini institutions in Arolanit adds to this.) Of course, non-Brithini universities add the Junior Faculty of Divinity to the traditional schools of Law, Wizardry, Military Science, Art, and Medicine.

Academically,
Alex.