Well, get me to a Nunnery -- Sartar Stuff.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 95 20:57:52 BST

On Elmal/Yelmalio, Bryan Maloney generalises:
> I've got a rule of thumb: The further south you go, the less you hear about
> Elmal. By the time you get to Prax, you only hear "Elmal" in the context of
> an Orlanthi explaining to his children that "Elmal" is "Yelmalio's" proper
> name, back before he became an uppity twit.

I think that for various reasons, Prax, and more particularly Sun County, is more of a special case (at least if its printed history is even halfway correct), rather than part of any such systematic overall pattern.

> Elmal is not worshipped as Elmal until you get into Tarsh, proper.

This may (or may not) be where the Elmal cult originated (anywhere in northern DP or southern Peloria would be plausible), but I don't think it's a likely bastion these days, not least because the Lunars have had significant time to "discourage" it. Also, there's evidence for continued Elmal worship in Sartar itself; witness mentions of "the Elmal clan" of the Colymar, and the Elmali of Farpoint before Harvar got his Fists on them.

> So far as I can tell, Yelmalism among humans began in southern Sartar or
> perhaps a little further south, and is now slowly spreading north.

I don't think this is true; Sun Dome (initially in southern Sartar, now a little further south) isn't where the religion originated, but rather where the Yelmalions were booted out of Sartar proper to.

> Conversion of the Tarshite Elmali tribes is encountering unexpected
> resistance, since an unknown number of Tarshite Orlanth-worshippers now
> camoflage themselves as "Elmali"

This doesn't seem likely to be a large-scale effect; if it were, the Lunars would simply proscribe Elmal too. The ruse of Barntar worship only works since his "parent" cult, Ernalda, is less unfriendly to the Lunars than other Orlanthi religions (or at least, less blatant about it). In this case, the Lunars are already motivated to stomp on the Elmali, since they have other, rival, Solar cults which they'd much rather the local yokels worshipped.

Jeff Richard asks, in relation to his "Taming" of Dragon Pass campaign (unfortunate name, I feel, but that might just be me):
> 1. Are there detailed (ie. showing the location of hills and streams)
> maps of the lands between the Creek and the Stream in existence

I have a copy of a copy (of a copy of a copy?) of such a map (the Colymar lands, specifically: see the summary of clan tula locations I posted some time ago); I think Nick has the originals these days. It doesn't have a lot of geographical detail; nothing over and above published maps, that I can think of.

> and if so can I get a copy?

I'd ask Greg in the first instance (they being his maps), and Nick in the second (since he had physical posession of the originals last).

> (how else could someone have generated that wonderful map of the
> area around Grey Dog Inn for TotRM?).

They made it up, natch. Or most of the detail, at any rate.

David Boatright:
> the Monastery [...], the Nunnery [...] Both are at the edge of the
> Aranwyth land's. One other place is the Devils Grove which is south
> of the road to Sewnstown.

Peter Metcalfe:
> The hypothesis about the Sisters of Mercy Temple is confirmed from a map of
> Sartar in Wyrms Footprints (on the edge of Battle Valley). I can't comment on
> the other two places as Sartar is my strongest point. Alex?

Sadly, I haven't seen the map in question, and have no Inside Information as to what these places might be. If Monastery and Nunnery are near to each other, as David seems to suggest, then maybe the idea was to have a Sisters of Mercy "Nunnery" and an Arroin "Monastery", but that seems odd in the light of current understanding of Challanan sexual mores, as does the very word Nunnery.

Devils Grove: sounds like more chaos-stomping, there.

Alex.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #14