Star Captains and Runes

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 15:00:11 +1300

Alex Ferguson:

Speaks on Star Captains.

Peter Metcalfe:
>> Strictly speaking, the spell should be Summon Luxite or to preserve Sandy's
>> sensibilities, Summon Shanasse.

>I think Call Star Captain is a Way More Appropriate And Evocative title,
>myself. After all, Summon Lodril doesn't produce a square-headed guy
>with a hard-on, so I don't think whether it's a "full" manifestation
>is too much of a worry.

Ahem! Lodril does not have a hard-on. That's Umatum. Lodril does however have the Big Stick. Now for your choice of punishment, you can be beaten with the Big Stick or Umatum's...

>> Vorumaini Luxites would be like that Japanese Dude in 'Brazil'.

>Clearly another sally in your ongoing battle to give Vormain a Carbon
>Copy Solar Religion, Peter. Where are those Gift Carriers when you need
>one? I see your "Never spell the adjective meaning "pertaining to Vormain"
>the same twice running" is still going strong, though...

Listen here. The prosopaedia clearly states that Valzain's eye sits at the top of the Sky Dome. I'm not saying that Valzain is Polaris or even that Valzain is a Sky God (which I thought, we're agreed on that he wasn't). I merely think that there is a subcult among the Vorumai called Valzain's Eye which summons Big Bastards from the Eye of the All Seeing Emperor to Kick the Crap out of Anybody Bad. You might as well argue that Humakt is a Sky God, the way he has a constellation in the Heavens and all that.

Sandy Petersen:

Returns!

> Then there are weird combinations like XXYY etc. The
>general rule is that if you have a Y chromosome, you're considered
>male, though this may be masked by other genes. The more Y genes you
>have, the dumber and bigger you get. The more X genes you have, the
>more feminine and fatty you get.

Given that 49% of the population has one Y chromosome, I can see it making people bigger but dumber? :)

Peter Metcalfe
>>However the modern west does not really work with runes these days,
>>IMO, as the major use for them is defunct.

> I strongly do not agree with Peter on this point. I believe
>that Runes are still powerful and active throughout Glorantha. Just
>because the West believes in the Invisible God doesn't mean they
>don't recognize that the world is built out of Runes.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the westerners do not believe the Runes work merely that they think it Common Sense not to Mess Around with The Runes or Else you will rip holes in the SpaceTime Continuum etc. After all, remember what happened to Slontos before it was flooded.

>>I think KoS says that the Dragonewts can't write. QED they don't
>>use runes.
> Does not necessarily follow. We know that many of the more
>complex Runes (beast, frex) are of dragonewt origin. Also I doubt
>mere humanity would have invented a "Dragonewt" rune on our own.

I would have said these runes are draconic in origin. I don't think Ol Snake-Features in the Dragons Eye has the monopoloy on what is Draconic and what is not. There are plenty of others to tell the humans about the runes like the Wyrms, frex.

>THE KRALORI AND THE FALSE DRAGON RING AND THE DRAGONKILL WAR
Sounds Juicy. I am sold!