Wrong Rivers and Suns, perception thereof

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 13:21:15 +1300

Robert McArthur:

> >What is the myth behind the name of Jaldon's Wrong River ?

>I thought it was that it was the only river still flowing the wrong way - ie.
>away from the sea, uphill. Though why Jaldon has his name associated with it
>I don't know.

I thought that was the Syphon river in Heortland?

Richard Staats:

Writes a good article but:

> In my campaigns, I have always assumed that Earthly phenomenon
> operated unless otherwise noted. For example, Yelm runs from east to
> west each day (the same as the sun), but if a character could find
> some way of getting close enough, he or she would actually see (and
> perhaps be attacked by) some guy in a chariot (quite a bit different
> --- or at least I would be quite surprised to discover otherwise :-O).

Whoops! Rather an inappropiate example to choose there. What the Sun looks like, is one that had perplexed Dara Happa for many years. I think the God itself resides in the Otherworld where all perceptions are at best culturally subjective: thus the Pentans would see a fiery horse, most Dara Happans would see a 'some guy in a chariot', the Galininae of Ralios would see a fiery man upon a horse and the Westerners would either percieve a glowing disk or the Knight Clad in Burning Gold (depending on how prone they are to paganism).

This is seperate from the God's influence on the mundane world. The presence of Yelm causes a bright glowing ball of fire to appear at the corresponding place in the Mundane world. What Yelm actually looks like on the Other Side is a Mystery.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #19