The appearance of Yelm, entries to Hell and GM fiat

From: rstaats_at_mail.lmi.org
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 95 08:03:16 EST

     Greetings!

        Peter Metcalfe had a nice variety of interpretations of how Yelm
     might actually appear which were culturally dependent.  I raise a
     glass of ale and nod in appreciation to this good point.

        My apologies! I was trying to write it at the GM meta-Glorantha
     level to answer Stephen R. Malelu's excellent question and mistakenly
     dipped into a cultural specific item.  Alas, my early RQ biases came
     through here. :-)  [Warily holding up his mono-mythic shield, the
     author delves in again.]

        Strictly from a GM's viewpoint, no matter how Yelm might appear to
     the subjective viewer, as a fiery disk or a fiery rider, Yelm's basic
     effects are modeled on our sun's effects in the real world.  This
     makes things overall easier on a GM.  What the GM decides to have Yelm
     actually look like up close in his or her campaign is a GM fiat.  I
     respect Peter's view that this could be very subjective.  This all
     related to another point in the last RQ Daily.

        Nick Brooke made a great observation when he said ``The place where
     your own campaign is set deserves to enjoy as much detail, magic and
     quirkiness as any published region; don't feel constrained to
     second-rate status by the lack of "official" recognition and interest
     in it.''  Bravo!  Even previously published material on Glorantha
     changes from time to time.  Develop the area you set your campaign in
     for the maximum enjoyment of you and your players whether that is a up
     to this point unexplored area of Glorantha or the highly analyzed and
     published areas surrounding Dragon Pass.

        Have to take off again in mid-article . . . going to drive 640 km
     today!  Tschuess!

        In service,

        Rich Staats