Re: Society Rules

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 95 11:46:03 -0500

I point out
>Only in bleeding heart liberal campaigns like Dave Dunham's ;) do
>the PCs knowingly work on behalf of society's mores.
Dave fesses up
>Darn, I've been caught out!
>Actually, I think it's harder on the players, since they sort of
>have to keep their Thane happy if they want to have a home between
>adventures

        Well, _of course_ it's harder to work with the forces of authority! Why do you think the vast majority of campaigns _don't_? When you work with the Powers That Be, you have all sorts of problems that don't crop up when you're just a carefree outlaw with a price on your head.

TOP TEN REASONS IT'S HARD TO BE A LAW-ABIDING MEMBER OF SOCIETY

  1. If you take sides when the Powers That Be squabble, you make a bad, powerful enemy.
  2. If you _don't_ take sides during a power squabble, then _both_ sides hate you, but maybe not as much as the one single enemy described under Reason #1, above.
  3. Your mission always have a hidden agenda (that you're usually not privy to).
  4. There's an ambitious underling that would _love_ to depose you in the boss's esteem.
  5. Or else a cruel oppressive overseer that you must betray, so you can take his place.
  6. You can't just kill, kidnap, or threaten your enemies, because they're part of your same damn clan.
  7. Inept and/or senile leaders who send you to your deaths.
  8. Bungling incompetent subordinates whose blunders get you killed.
  9. A huge extended family that's always getting into trouble (Dave! The broos have kidnapped Ilona, your third cousin's mother-in-law's aunt! You must rescue her at once!)
  10. Your missions must take place without thought of reward. (Hail the returning heroes! I see you acquired the entire treasure-hoard of the Dinacoli king! WONDERFUL! By my calculations your share comes to 19 bolgs. But you _do_ get to have a toast in your honor at the thanes' feast. No, of _course_ you're not invited! Who do you think you are?)

Brian Tickler (not Pam Carlson)
>Yanafal Tarnils cultists are not "traitorous Humaktis", because
they >are NOT Humaktis.

        Sez who? A Humakti, while strongly affirming that YT are not Humakti's, would still contend that they were, somehow, traitors. I guess logic is not their strong suit. And I maintain that a ZZ Death Lord would be within his rights in recognizing YT as Humakti and treating them with all the reverence due their station ("Put the Scimitar's skull in the _middle_ of the platter, you oaf!")

        Only YT folks themselves would make the above point. This leads me to the inexorable conclusion that you, Brian Tickler, are a Lunar spy. The appropriate authorities have been notified.

Peter Metcalfe
>What Yelm actually looks ... is a Mystery.

        What nonsense. Every single culture in Glorantha knows _exactly_ what the Sun looks like. And they'll tell you if you ask.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #20