Re: humakt & Halgrim's saga

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 95 10:30:30 -0500

Avalon Hill's Demise

        I think Richard Erwin is too sanguine about the fall of Avalon Hill. He says "New wargamers are as likely to get started with other company's games." _What_ other companies? SPI is dead. TSR has ceased producing board wargames. The Fresno Gaming Group is dead. It's been eons since Games Workshop produced anything approaching a historical sim. GDW has stopped producing many of its wargame line. It looks grim for the board wargamers. Of course, this is the Glorantha digest, but still.

Cheiron
>why no mention of Humaktis in Halgrim's Saga?

  1. Ralzakark's nurturing of the Humakt cult was, at the time, not known to Greg Stafford (I think -- it was already written down somewhere -- had been for many years, but I'm not sure Greg had read it).
  2. Halgrim's Saga was devoted to explicating the specific chaos cults named in Cults of Terror. Humakt was not one of those cults, so the saga didn't waste time on them.
  3. The Storm Bulls may not have been aware that certain of the broos were worshiping "Humakt", but just assumed that the sword-wielders were another clan -- probably funded by the damn Lunars or something.
  4. None of the Humakti broo may have been encountered in all of Halgrim's Saga anyway. Most of the Humakti are loyal to Ralzakark, and he makes no appearance in Halgrim's Saga. The entity known as "Ralzakark" in the Saga is just another powerful broo. _Everything_ bad coming out of Dorastor is blamed on Ralzakark, but it just ain't so. This is not to say that the events described in Halgrim's Saga are not a major Dorastor plot, and a dire threat to all the nations around. It's just that they aren't centered on Ralzakark, but some other leader, with different allies and plans.