various things

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 1995 21:53:04 +1300

Pam Carlson:

>Somebody asked who the lunar Light diety is:
>
>Peter's answer: the Dara Happan deities are good enough for them -
>
>I agree: after all, DH culture is a large component of the Lunar
>multicultural malange.
>
>But don't forget that at the heart of the RG's mystery - her secret helper -
>her key to enlightenment - is Nysalor the Bright.

Hells Bells, Pam! After making out a cogent case that there is nothing sinster and unnatural about the Red Moon, you have to mention the N-word and set the Orlanthi types frothing at the mouth...

Cheiron:

>The problem is, with the publishing of Doraster and Cults of Terror,
>it's beginning to occur to me that in the area in and around Doraster,
>Humakt is a chaos cult. If not, then why no mention of Humaktis in
>Halgrim's Saga?

Umm, Bolthor's niece described in LoT is mentioned as a Humakti. Personally, I think Humakt's a war cult of the Lakrene and thus only followed by the Acceptors among the Bilini and not at all by the Skanthi. I feel Humakt would be a prominent god within Bolthor's circle. Since Paulis Longvale's sympathies are with Hahlgrimm, he belittles Bolthor's followers and devotes nary a word about them.

Sandy Petersen:

> 4) None of the Humakti broo may have been encountered in
>all of Halgrim's Saga anyway. Most of the Humakti are loyal to
>Ralzakark, and he makes no appearance in Halgrim's Saga. The entity
>known as "Ralzakark" in the Saga is just another powerful broo.

Ralzalkark of the Scorpion Arm wasn't it?

Domonic Escott:

>I am in the process of attempting to write detailed cult write-ups for the
>individuals that make up the Seven Mothers. I just wondered whether anyone
>had seen details that led to the SM's creating the goddess, and of their
>apotheosises, and history pre- and during the zero wane..

To be detailed in the Lunar Book (coming real soon now, we hope).

>I've read in CoP and sometime back in a History of the Lunar Empire that
>Carmania and Pentian nomads drove the Sm to create the goddess. Why? What
>would make these people strive to create a god/goddess? Did they set out
>on this task of rhtier own rise to power?

Look at it this way. They hated the Pentan nomads and the Carmanian Conquest of Rinliddi was virtually recent circa 1200 ST. Most of the Seven Mothers have bones to pick with the Carmanians out of their land. However their own cults are no good or have come of second best against the Carmanians who now have their gods under their thumb. So why not try to make a new god that the Carmanians don't control?

>Maybe more importantly, these renegades must have had motives, to risk cult
>reprisals and such like from their own gods. MY only reasoning could be that
>they were illuminated, thus giving the an sense of higher things.

Cult reprisals? I don't see any cult prohibiting the manufacture of a new god. And even if it were prohibited, people go apostate for less. As for their possible motives, let see:

Yanafal Tarnils: was an exiled noble from Yuthuppa. Given that Loren has said that he was a Carmanian, I've a feeling that he was kin to Endarkus Bullslayer, a Carmanian Satrap of Raibanth who revoted against the Bull Shah's oppression of his kin. Obviously he wants to overthrow the corrupt Bull Shahs from Dara Happa, so more enlightened people (ie him) can restore all Peloria to a more enlightened way of life. I don't see anything for Humakt to be upset about (yet).

Jalakeel: Stated to be a Zorak Zoran Priestess from the Jord Mountains. She would appear to be a Spolite Witch who had some beef with the Carmanians.

Danfive Xaron: A Bloodthirsty Outlaw. IMO, he's sick of being a bandit and wants the pleasures of civilized life. So he drifts into Rinliddi and becomes involved in this wacky project that, if successful, will set him up for life.

Deezola: Is said to be Queen of lands along the Arcos river. So presumably she was a native of Rinliddi who had suffered a sudden change of social status (ie downwards). Obvious reasons for wanting the Carmanians out of her land. Her cult is so wimpy, it hardly puts up a fight. So she seeks a more effective diety to worship.

Teelo Norri: Street waif.

'She who waits': Unknown motives.

Irrippi Ontor: Stated to be a friend of Yanafal and an outlawed Priest of Lhankor Mhy. Motives really unknown. I think he was outlawed for his association with Yanafal rather than blasphemising against Lhankor Mhy. I have the impression of Irrippi as one of those faithful retainers following his master out into the wilderness, seeking to return him to power.