Re: creation of new God

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 10:26:00 +1000 (EST)

Peter asserts
> >Maybe more importantly, these renegades must have had motives, to risk cult
> >reprisals and such like from their own gods. MY only reasoning could be that
> >they were illuminated, thus giving the an sense of higher things.
>
> Cult reprisals? I don't see any cult prohibiting the manufacture of a new
> god. And even if it were prohibited, people go apostate for less. As for
> their possible motives, let see:

I can certainly see Gods not wanting it! Firstly, they lose worshippers and thus power (small 'p' and capital 'P'). For example, the fight between the Red upstart and valorous Orlanth (:-) is a fight for middle air - in general, Gods aren't known for sharing things. I'm sure that, for one, Humakt isn't thrilled with the idea of another god of Death around...Irripi Ontor: if two peoples are searching for knowledge in the world, there's less for one people to find (first) so I don't think Llankhor Mhy love IO.

Secondly, _maybe_ the Gods understand the state of Nysalor/Gbaji and just what the hell happened esp. with Arkat. All the lightbringers, at least, are sworn to fight chaos (hmmm, Chalana Arroy? maybe not fight as such...). The creation of a Goddess, outside the cosmic compromise, is a) likely to let chaos into the world (look, it has - the Bat); and b) this particular Goddess is illuminated (if the other Gods know what _this_ means) and is different to every single one of them. Not many people can handle such a difference to the status quo happily.

So, I see *every* cult, from Chaos to strict Law being against the creation of a new God: after all, creation of a new God is a god-given thing, not something these ?mortal? ?within-time? upstarts could do, could they...

After some thought, perhaps the only cults that would be for a new God would be Eurmali and other disorder rune cults. Ahhh, I see it now, 'she who waits' is really a card-carrying Eurmali: the only one of the 7M who don't have to reneg on their previous God, which is why his (!) name is never provided.

Robert McArthur

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #24