Re: impalas in the Lunar Empire

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 95 12:41:10 -0500

Sandy
>See ancient Lunar nobility who ride bisons and wear gold-and-satin
>idealized versions of Praxian chieftain gear without knowing why.

Tim Ellis
>OK I'll Bite, Why?

        I meant that the nobles didn't know why. The PCs traveling from Sartar would probably be able to figure it out. 'Tis because the First Age allies of the First Council against the Dara Happan Empire were Praxians, several clans of which installed themselves as overlords of the peasantry in classic Pent fashion. Over the years though, the original Praxian culture was subsumed into the local Pelorian one, except for amusing remnants. The only exception is the Sables of the Hungry Plateau, who managed to find a grazing area so unfertile and grim that it kept them Praxian over the centuries. Though I'm not sure they still worship Waha. Probably Eiritha.

Joerg
>I have no idea what happened to eventually remaining Impalas or High
>Llamas, and there seem to be no Morokanth in Peloria after Argentium
>Thri'ile. Weren't they Council allies, or why?

        While I could argue that Impalas and High Llamas were not ecologically suited to Peloria (while Bison were) or some such, it's much more fun for there to _be_ a small clan here and there that still keeps Impalas and High Llamas. Just not as important and big as the surviving Bison riders. So there.

        I agree that there's no Morokanth in Peloria. Two possible reasons. 1) they weren't Council allies. After all, they're not mounted troops, which was the Council's big reason for bringing in the Praxians anyway.

        2) They were allies, and fought, but weren't able assimilate into the local culture. Not only are they non-human, but they're critters of Darkness, for crying out loud. Not so easy to join up with the prevailing solar faith. They were probably killed off or joined up with local troll groups.