Unearthed Document

From: ramos_at_crpp.u-bordeaux.fr
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 19:33:36 GMT

Hi to all.
As my first and perhaps last posting to the digest (vagaries of post-doc work) I wish to present a paper that more or less appeared in my files.

        Transcript of a God Learner document found in Sog City. Date and origin are unknown, but close to the end of the Jrusteli Empire (X-XI century).

        Translated from the western tongue by Derner Sharpeyes, Associate of Lhankor Mhy temple in Nochet.

        My dear Ifyan (I wonder why all you supernatural researchers change your names):

        I wish to bring to your attention several problems in the "Spirit Magic Standardisation Project". Despite the outstanding works of Arhabshulutz (other supernatural, no doubt) in the Mundane and Spirit planes, in my recent visit to Genertela I have seen some disfunctions.

        Arhabshulutz managed to place the magic of all known cults inside a satisfactory sistematic order, recognising the many similarities. Only some rare cults or spells needed individual attention. But no matter that they are functionally the same, and that both correspond to Arhabshulutz's "Bladesharp", a yelmite will call his "Golden Edge" and consider it very different from the Humakt's Gift of a death cultist. Also the physycal manifestations, in colour, shine etc. are very different, although thanks to Arhabshulutz the effects are the same. This is the cause that, except for a few enlightened individuals as myself, you cannot deepen your understanding of a spell in a different source that the one you got it first. Effectively you must learn it anew. I saw a wind cultist in Ralios trying to learn more of "The Bull's Sinews" (Strength) from a shaman, who only could offer "Bear Heart". I believe this happens even between friendly cults of the same pantheon."

        By the way, whoever thought that the barbarians would use the Staff method to measure the power of spells numerically was a fool. Most of the magic users out there are functional illiterates. What is a number to them? They recognise degrees of understanding, but nothing as sharp defined as our own way.

        I heretofore urge the affected parties to take measures to put this in order, because as Malkion himself said:

		"Simplicity stems from the Creator
		Man is the source of Complexity"

(undecipherable signature)
So you know, boys and girls, revamp and spin off the poor old battle
magic. There are many better name-givers than me in this august company.

(P.S. Any English or Spanish speaking Runequesters in Bordeaux, please)

        Jose Ramos

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #26