May the Force be with you!

From: David Hall <100116.2616_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 26 Jul 95 15:19:46 EDT

Hmm... Lorens comments have prompted some further thoughts.

Thought One: To further explore the Light/Dark aspect, I reckon I'd have preferred to see two Carmanian war gods/aspects: one light and one dark. Based on Humakt's generally good press in terms of honour and truth I'd see him as the Light. Maybe the the more bestial guys who accompanied Syranthir would embody the Dark aspect?

Thought Two: However, if Humakt is the Dark/Brutal side of the Carmanian Empire, then might Yanafal Tarnils embody the Light/Honour? Maybe one secret of the Lunar victory might be that many of the Carmanian nobility saw the later Carmanian Empire as being wholly unbalanced towards the Dark and bestial side, and thus were happy to accept the Lunar Empire which was seen as embodying the light side - and balance!

I begin to see now that it is Duke Yanafal and his cult of honourable and truthful warriors who have over time subtly influenced many Humakti away from worship of Death for Death's sake toward a more enlightened viewpoint. Before Duke Yanafal I suspect that the Truth rune, and the concept of death with honour, was unknown to Humakti worldwide.

It makes the lies spread about our noble Duke even more heinous!

Loren writes:
>IMHO in Carmania YT became a police cult and the source of guards for
>trading caravans.

IMHO YT is a war cult worshipped by many of the Knights of Carmania, and by many Carmanian units in the Lunar Army.

I also don't think there is any sort of police force in Carmania beyond the local lord and his soldiers, and in extremis the Lunar Army. So it is only a "police cult" in that those knights and soldiers probably worship YT. However, IMO mentioning the police conjures up misleading modern day images.

YT as the cult of caravan guards just doesn't convince me!

Loren and the catch-phrase:
>When you distill that down to a single catch phrase, it's easy to see why
>you can come out with "Humakt=war, YT=trade." Obviously that isn't totally
>true, but it's pretty good for shorthand.

IMHO distilling Glorantha down into catch-phrases and shorthand makes me shudder. I like the complexities of Glorantha and all of its grey areas. Simplifying complex cultures and politics in this way worries me. I don't want a black and white two dimensional Glorantha.

Robert McArthur wondered:
>Do any of the "ancient gloranthan gurus" (go Sandy et al) have any information
>about the Praxian medicine bundles:

The Stepladder appeared in Tales #12. Krang's Table in the Big Rubble pack. Others may appear in Tales #14.

David Boatright writes:
... well ... complete rubbish! Barbarian scum.

All Hail our Lady in Crimson!

Cheers,

David Hall