Brithini illumination

From: D. Pearton <pearton_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 00:15:00 -0700 (PDT)

> >> For starters, Yelm is Illuminated. Consequently I don't think he cares.
>
> >Hmmm, I didn't know that... is there any unGregable evidence for that?
>
> The Glorious ReAscent which is written before the Sunstop. Although it's
> still a work in progress, I don't think the statement that Yelm is
> Illuminated is likely to be Gregged. Of course we also know that Rashoran
> talked to Humakt and Uleria (CoT) but this doesn't necessarily mean they
> were illuminated.

Well, the whole bit about Yelm when "one became many" and when Yelm was able to confront his "other" and be able to be "the one" again is (IMO) very good evidence for his illumination. As far as I remember Greg stated this fairly clearly during RQConII.

> >Also, thinking about illumination, it would seem to be a Power... so is there
> >a hidden rune for illumination?
>
> The Kralori would probably have an enlightenment rune. Since Illumination
> was unknown to the Brithini, I don't think it would be in the standard God
> Learner lexicon. Dunno of any Lunar Runes. Ditto for Doraddi, although I
> do recall Dorastor:LoD saying that the Near Ones are thought to be so. Just
> who are the Near Ones, Sandy?

Illumination was unkown to the Brithini? Wasn't Arkat illuminated by the Elves on Brithos? I find it hard to belive that the Brithini (who were not nearly as insular before the dawn) were completely ignorant about something that was obviously quite prevelent in their own homeland. I also think that the Kraloreli wouldn't have an "enlightenment rune" per se, but rather something that would convey the "marrige of opposites" that illumination is able to convey.

I also think that the Dorradi "runes" are very different from the godlearner style runes. Witness the fact that Pamalt gets a completely new (and unrelated) rune in the Godlearner system. As you (Peter) have already strongly noted, the Dara Happans and the EWF have completely different rune "alphabets" so I don't think that you can make these sorts of generalisations.

Yak
- --

Dave Pearton				* ....As I was saying before I
Biochemistry Dept.			* was so rudely interrupted
University of Washington		* by one of my multiple
Seattle					* personalities....
pearton_at_u.washington.edu		*
pearton_at_unpsun1.cc.unp.ac.za		* Naked Lunch (W.S. Burroughs)