Carmanian Humakti

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 11:41:56 +0800

        With respect to the Carmanian Humakti, it is worth taking a look at Peter Michaels Hearts of Humakt stuff (which is really great, IMHO). You can find it in the archives of the list.

        Basically, it is a Humakti theology based around having multiple Hearts, such a Heart of Honour, a Heart of Generosity, a Heart of Bravery. Some of these are dedicated to Humakt (the Heart of Life (your physical heart) is Humakts, so when he decides it stops, it is sacrilege to start it again), some must be preserved and protected (the Heart of Bravery), and some the Humakti are able to sacrifice for special benefits. The Carmanian Humakti are noted at several times as being pretty unpleasant. They often sacrifice the Heart of Mercy, for example, and become without mercy. There is also a bit about how Humakti initiation includes sacrificing the Heart of Joy (basically, you lose your innocence, and can no longer be truly joyful, though you can still be happy or satisfied or content). The Carmanians substitute for this loss by learning to take joy in killing. Perhaps Peters view is a bit extreme (he talks about the Carmanian Humakti sacrificing the Hearts of Graciousness (basically Chivalry) en masse before the Four Arrows of Light), but I like the idea of Humakti as believable bad guys that Yanafals consciously rebels against. He also has Carmanis as the origin of the Lead Cross heresy.

        I am not sure how much of it I believe, but I think it is an excellent place to start. I also like the idea that the Carmanian Humakti are vicious grim death worshippers, rather than the honourable types we are used to from Dragon Pass.

        Cheers

                David