Illumination and Bull baffles Brains

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 16:15:30 +1300

Dave Pearton:

I had written:

>> The Kralori would probably have an enlightenment rune. Since Illumination
>> was unknown to the Brithini, I don't think it would be in the standard God
>> Learner lexicon. Dunno of any Lunar Runes. Ditto for Doraddi, although I
>> do recall Dorastor:LoD saying that the Near Ones are thought to be so. Just
>> who are the Near Ones, Sandy?

Dave replied:

>Illumination was unkown to the Brithini? Wasn't Arkat illuminated by the
>Elves on Brithos? I find it hard to belive that the Brithini (who were
>not nearly as insular before the dawn) were completely ignorant about
>something that was obviously quite prevelent in their own homeland.

Sorry, what I meant was that Illumination was unknown to the Brithini from their days on the Kingdom of Logic. The tale of Arkat being Illuminated seems to me to be an elvish cultic ritual given that Illumination was known before Nysalor. Perhaps it was brought from the Mainland by one of the Awakeners? Brithini don't normally like delve to deeply into these things, IMO, because it leads to wrinkles.

>I also think that the Kraloreli wouldn't have an "enlightenment rune" per
>se, but rather something that would convey the "marrige of opposites"
>that illumination is able to convey.

Illumination isn't the 'marriage of opposites', IMO. It's a psychic liberation from the mental baggage you accumulate on the Otherworld when you grow up (ie being subject to cult spirits of reprisals if you do something wrong). The way to achieve this state differs: 'Experiencing the Impossible' as Yelm did is a good way to go about this but not the only way. Modern Dara Happans try to replicate this by asking confusing and contradictory questions. The Kralori, IMO, use mediation to reach Aether and thus illuminate themselves. I really don't know what the Elves did to reach it or did with it.

>I also think that the Dorradi "runes" are very different from the
>godlearner style runes. Witness the fact that Pamalt gets a completely
>new (and unrelated) rune in the Godlearner system. As you (Peter) have
>already strongly noted, the Dara Happans and the EWF have completely
>different rune "alphabets" so I don't think that you can make these sorts
>of generalisations.

The reason why I said I don't believe the Doraddi have any runes for illumination was that I was unaware of any indigenous tradition of illumination. As for the 'completely different' Dara Happan and EWF alphabets, it seems I have my point rather too strongly. I believe they are meant that they are different like the Roman and Cyrillic Alphabets rather than Chinese and Mayan Ideograms. Pamalt's Rune is known to the Dara Happans as Gerendetho's spear. Both are Earth dieties so it does appear that there are _some_ common elements to all rune systems.

Cheiron:

loved the rants.

Loren Miller:

>NB2: Ye might be inneres'd to hear that NB (not, in this case, an abbrev.
>for Nota Bene) told me flat out that the Tawari were not bull hsunchen, for
>I made that faulty assumption myself. They're bull-worshipping freaks.

This is rapidly getting confusing. The Tawari are the kin of Kereusi. The Kereusi are a nation of 'Foot-walkers' from Naveria (cf Pam's writeup of KanOra in which she said that Bisos was the son of Kereus, who was the son of Naveria. So it seems we have two Bull Gods, the Bisosi and the Tawari. These shared the rule of Carmania in the Bull Shah and even weren't too fussy about which Bull God they were actually worshipping (cf Emperor Bisoshan is the son of Shah CarTavar the Conquerer).

Now for the weird bits which I haven't gotten sorted out yet. There's seems to be another tribe of Bull-folk known as the Lendarshi. They are stated (actually implied) in the Broken Council Guidebook as being Bull Riders, yet the Unity List description of 'Emperor' Lendarshi explicitly mentions that he 'rides chariots, first horses'. He (and his people) are seemingly related to the mysterious Lenshi who ruled Darsen and Naveria at the Dawn. All of which makes my head hurt.