Family Spirits

From: Graydon <saundrsg_at_qlink.queensu.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 01:59:35 -0400 (EDT)

Michael Raaterova writes:
> Clans and tribes have wyters. Cities have their gods (and, presumably, a
> bunch of spirits). Families have family spirits. A person could have a
> spirit following him. These spirits can be malevolent or benevolent or
> both. Someone who commits heinous deeds could get a following of malignant
> imps that participate in the action. A noble Wind Lord could get the
> constant attention of a small Whirler that dances in his footsteps.

Ever read anything about the norse concept of a Fylgja? (means 'follower')

You inherited these from your ancestors; they stuck with a particular line for generations, giving magical aid and advice in dreams and such.

There's nothing that says someone who gains a cult spirit isn't actually gaining their family fylgja, or Great-uncle Ned's fylgja (or great uncle Ned *as* a fylygja; many cult spirits are former devout worshipers, after all); families tend to stick with the same gods, too, after all. You can also end up doing rituals of welcoming and acceptance when you learn that a particular relative has died, in the hopes of being the lucky member of your generation to get the spirit.

Then there's the concept of a king's hamingja, spirit power that could be lent to people performing specific tasks for the king.

Even if a person isn't technically a member of an ancestor cult, going out and sitting all night on the family grave mound seeking advice can work (if your ancestors decide they like you, anyway); you could even get family spirit spells passed down this way for generations. (So *all* the adult members of a particular family know bladesharp, or a special purify water or identify cow spell; they sacrificed a point of POW when they came of age, and the family fylgja taught them the spell.)

You can easily postulate strong bonds with the land or the herds, too; the family holdings have a representative spirit, and the family farming or herding practices include what amount to worship rituals. (Although 'partnership rituals' is probably closer.)

If you can manage the habit of thought, thinking of the thing and the spirit as a single entity helps; Humakt's sword *is* the death rune, Orlanth *is* the great overarching swirl of the middle air, that big rock in the back yard *is* the family luck, the cattle herd *is* the wealth of the family - I don't think most Glorantha cultures have come up with a concept of a mind body-duality. The Malkioni, sure, and maybe some of the Eastern mystics, but that would seem to be about it.

saundrsg_at_qlink.queensu.ca | Monete me si non anglice loquobar.