Kargzant and Yelm

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 1995 15:41:46 +1300

David Dunham:

>Peter Metcalfe sez

>>As for Kargzant not being part of the Yelm Pantheon, I would advise David
>>to look at Darjiin. There, the pious denziens at the Dawn worshipped the
>>Risen Manimat. Can you see Manimat on the Wall?

>I'm afraid my edition of GRoY doesn't list Manimat as being on the wall.
>Nor do I see the connection between Manimat and Kargzant.

Your point was that Kargzant could not be part of the Yelm Pantheon because he was not on the wall. Manimat is also not on the wall having lived some after it's construction but he was thought of as one of the Yelm Pantheon during the Khordavu dynasty. The belief that Kargzant cannot be of the Yelm Pantheon beacuse he is not on the Gods Wall is merely Dara Happan propoganda to 'prove' that the idea of Horse Nomads ruling Peloria is unnatural in the eyes of Yelm.

>>Um, even Plentonius is forced to concede that the Horse Nomads had a
>>Dara Happan Origin, namely the city of Nivorah.

>It's true that Kargzant appears to originate from Nivorah -- maybe (he
>became their god after they left, since Reladivus was taken away from
>them). But I would suggest that Nivorah was not under the Roof precisely
>because it was not Dara Happan, but rather part of their empire.

Nivorah revolted before the roof was laid down so this point is rather moot. They had been part of the Empire since Murharzarm whereas it was not until the reign of Urvairinus that furriners were actually taken under the rule of the Magnificent Dara Happan Empire. Naveria and Darsen were also not under the roofs protection and they didn't revolt.

>And the
>years of nomadic wandering while Dara Happa huddled under the Roof would
>let them further diverge (while the Dara Happans would become even more
>insular).

This is true. But then the Dara Happans also split apart after Antirius died. There are the Citizens of Raibanth who toughed it out under Emperor Kazkurtum, the Urstenni/Dekdari and the 70 families who fled Raibanth with Manimat. These people were reunified by the time of Khordavu, but in the period of their wanderings they also diverged in culture. At the time of the Jenarong Emperors, the Jenarong lorded it over the Citizens and the Dekdari whereas the Seventy families were still running around in Darjiin. Should we say then the Seventy Families are not part of the Yelm Pantheon?

I accept that the Horse Riders are pretty much different from the Dara Happoi in lifestyle and culture. My arguement was that Kargzant could be described as part of the Yelm Pantheon because the Dara Happans did not have any problem with the other sun cults merely seeing them as reflections of Manimat (cf the God of Mathiman of Darjiin at the Broken Council LARP was Antirius Manimati). I was merely drawing on the background of common origins when I described Kargzant as 'another Yelm Cult' whereas you are approaching it from the religious rites they used today. We are really going to be splitting hairs if we try and define further whether Kargzant truly deserves the title of 'another Yelm Cult'.