Levels

From: ramos_at_crpp.u-bordeaux.fr
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 1995 13:29:24 GMT

I have just read the excellent John Hughes (et al) essay, and although I do not wish to start a thread that probably was discussed to death, there is a point I wish to make.
We must remember that Glorantha is usually explored as a team (or game group) of people. Usually the general interest of the group stops in the first or second JH's levels, and only a dedicated GM makes the effort of sampling the third on occasion. Exceptionally a dedicated player will make a serious effort to reach also this level, but in my experience, only once in 15 years (includingother RPGs) was the attempt serious. My opinnion is that in actual play (opposed to theorical discussion, where all levels can be considered) only in special designed modules can the third level, the inmersion in gloranthan culture can happen. People can make the effort, but it is hard to be consistent ever, specially as ambition and personality tend to make the PCs unusual in their own culture. In fact, I consider many heroes as people that have lost (or gained a different)perspective from their own culture, and that breaking of molds is the hero real way.
Too many ramblings for a summer sunday.
Let's go to the beach!

Jose Ramos

"L'ordre est le plaisir de la raison; mais le disordre est le delice de l'imagination." (Paul Claudel)