Bull

From: mr happy <ajbehan_at_tcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 17:02:33 +0100 (BST)

> Loren Miller:
> >NB2: Ye might be inneres'd to hear that NB (not, in this case, an abbrev.
> >for Nota Bene) told me flat out that the Tawari were not bull hsunchen, for
> >I made that faulty assumption myself. They're bull-worshipping freaks.

In the Broken Council Guidebook the Tawari are described as leading the Hsunchen confederation against the Talsardians at the Battle of Eleven Beasts. This implies (but does n't require) that they were Hsunchen in 300 ST. If they were they must have lost this heritage like the Galinini did. The "nigh-zzaburian" maps in the Dara Happan Book of Emperors indicate that Bull people inhabited Vanstal, at the the mouth of the Esel, from 300 ST (if not earlier.)

Peter Metcalfe:
> This is rapidly getting confusing. The Tawari are the kin of Kereusi.
> The Kereusi are a nation of 'Foot-walkers' from Naveria (cf Pam's
> writeup of KanOra in which she said that Bisos was the son of Kereus,
> who was the son of Naveria. So it seems we have two Bull Gods, the
> Bisosi and the Tawari. These shared the rule of Carmania in the Bull
> Shah and even weren't too fussy about which Bull God they were actually
> worshipping (cf Emperor Bisoshan is the son of Shah CarTavar the
> Conquerer).

Pam says Bisos is the son of Kereus and Greg in the Unity List Text (Bisos is #3) says he is the son of the Bull god KefTavar. IMHO the Tawari and Kereusi were both formerly Hsunchen who worshipped, respectively, Tavar and Kereus. When the Kereusi settled down they worshipped Bisos, the cultural hero who defeated bad old YarGan (whatever the Dara Happans say.) Of course there could be an elemental pantheon of Bull. The Tawari settled in Vanstal after the Battle of Eleven Beasts and remained quiet until the Orlanthi incursions of 1105. Shortly after this we start getting Shahs with sadistic streaks and 'Tavar' and 'Bisos' in their name.

The anti-social, freakish nature of the Bull Shahs and the (seemingly chaotic) nature of YarGan do suggest an Urox connection. Talor is as good a link as any. Apart from the Lendarshi connection (arrgh!) one might ask is there a link with the Loskalmi region of Tawars? Another puzzle is what kind of animal is a "Bull"? Bisons are n't found in Fronela (where the Tawari) originated but are found in north west Peloria. Did a change from a Fronelan animal to the Pelorian (Kereusi) beast initiate a cultural intermingling?