Gloranthan Physics

From: Paul Whapham <richfords_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 95 12:58 BST-1

This is my first contribution to the digest so I would appreciate your leniency...

I saw the brief bit on X and Y chromosomes in an earlier Digest and it prompted me into thinking about the way glorantha physics would work, here are some suggestions I would like to open to debate.

Unlike 'real' physics Glorantha should not have particles, quanta, a unified field theory and all that stuff, instead I propose that the most basic 'particles' be the runic elements, thus for the earth rune the most basic thing would be dust, which is as finely divided as earth can be. Similarly the most basic part of the man rune would be what we call a cell.
Water and air could not be so easily ground down into small amounts so we might want to think of them and similar elements as a medium in which other runic elements are positioned.

Thus the world is made up of elements each with their own distinctive features that interact in ways that seem to be the same as our world but occur for greatly different reasons.

A thing will be made up of many different particles of runic elements which will have slightly different purposes and interactions. For example a mountain is obviously made of earth but within it there will be a number of different earth elements such as metals, stones, dirt, clay, etc as well as a number of other elements, such as air in caves, water, plants, dwarves, etc.
Similarly a human is made up of lots of different man rune elements such as bone, blood, skin, eyes, etc.

Associating runes with each other gives rise to interesting things such as trolls deriving from the association of the man and darkness runes.

We might want to divide elements up into groups depending upon their general effects.

Earth, Man, Plant - these are runes which have physical substance Water, Air, Darkness - these are runes which aremore ephemaeral substances
Fire, Cold, Harmony, Chaos - these are runes which represent forces Spirit, Magic - these are runes for magical substances etc...

This interpretation is of course open to discussion, any suggestions would be welcome.

Robin Brown.