Re: Illumination & The Red Goddess

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 1995 16:39:56 GMT

Peter Metcalfe says (in digest #33)

> The exact question you asked was whether the Seven Mothers were Illuminated
> at the _time_ of the making of the Red Goddess. It was this that I was taking
> issue with. Since the Red Goddess reawakened Nysalor (note I am merely
> parroting Lunar Propoganda) and reopened the Way of Illumination, it seems to
> me that Illumination was very difficult before this.

Illumination was certainly easier once the Red Goddess had re-awakened Nysalor, but its major effect was to make illumination _acceptable_ to her followers. (although this may be influenced by the anti-lunar/nysalor stance of CoP/CoT) but basicly, killing Nysalor did not prevent illumination, it just ment that illuminates had to be a bit (lot?) more careful. After all illumination is manifestly NOT like other religions. Nysalor wounds Korasting and Uz ferility is directly affected. Zorak Zoran steals Yelmalio's Fire powers, and his followers are no longer able to cast fire spells. But Nysalors teaching frees one from these ties to myth, so once the _idea_ of illumination is known, Nysalor is no longer necessary to become illuminated.