Re: Red Moon Quest

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_hamachi.pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 12:57:29 -0700

Andrew Joelson wrote

> The ritual that restored the Red Moon Goddess was not an LBQ. The
>number seven in '7 Mothers' is based on Dara Happan belief, not Orlanthi.
>At RQ Con II, Greg Stafford spoke on this subject (whoever has the tran-
>scipts can check me on the facts).

My recollection is that Greg said that the questers were trying to do the worst possible damage to the evil Empire, and that if you mapped out the stations of the heroquest, you would get an Air rune. I don't think Greg literally said it was a Lightbringer's Quest, but he smiled enigmatically at the thought.

Even if they didn't do the LBQ rituals, both are obviously quests to retrieve a dead Fire rune deity. Surely if the God Learners had lived to see the Red Moon, they would have considered the quest the same.

On the other hand, matching up the participants is difficult. Which may tell us as much about the nature of the LBQ as anything.

Orlanth = ? (there didn't seem to be a true leader) Lhankor Mhy = Irrippi Ontor
Issaries = Danfive Xaron? (he has pathfinder aspects) Chalana Arroy = Deezola (healer)
Eurmal = ? (Danfive Xaron might fit here, tho he's no Trickster) Flesh Man = Teelo Nori?
Ginna Jar = She Who Waits (both are enigmas) ? = Jakaleel
? = Yanafal Tarnils

My Gloranthan Web site <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> continues to grow, thanks to contributions from Thomas Lindgren and Loren Miller.