Gloranthan Metaphysics, Droopsnout & Gil

From: Frank & Stacie Giles <fsgiles_at_pixi.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 22:05:16 -1000

David Whapman writes:

>Unlike 'real' physics Glorantha should not have particles, quanta, a
>unified field theory and all that stuff, instead I propose that the most
>basic 'particles' be the runic elements,

This position raises some significant questions, as do "atomist" theories in general, since most of the physical properties of our world depend as much on the interactions between particles (the subject described by field theory) as on the nature of the particles themselves. Clearly, basic forces function differently in Glorantha than on Earth. For example gravity. Glorantha is most commonly described as a losenge-shaped island floating in a primal sea. The sky is a dome overhead. Hell and/or a whole lot of Karsht tunnels lie beneath. Down seems to be the same direction in all of these places. Further, there is no mention in Prince Snodal's or anyone elses sagas of every thing leaning over at an acute angle at the edge of the world, the way they would if they were being drawn toward Glorantha's center of gravity. In an absolute, non-relative sense down is the same direction wherever you go.

I like to think instead of Gloranthan Metaphysics. Something like: the great compromise includes not only time, but the physical laws that govern Gloranthan life as well. These laws are kept by agreement of all things, living or not. (thus giving rise naturally to an animist, spirit-filled world). By following the laws entities can manifest themselves within the agreement. Beings of extraordinary will can renegociate the agreement for themselves and so become heros. Chaos consists of entities that did not fully agree. They can break some of the agreement, but if they go too far they lose connection with Gloranthan reality and are said to return to primal chaos. This of course is my own private speculation and is not, to my knowledge, supported in any "blessed" literature.

On a more mundane note. I'm glad some appreciate the antics of Droopsnout and Gil. BUT...Since Droopsnout is a Stormbull Cultist, a visionary, and an idiot... and is probably on the fringe of Morokanth society... and since Gil is a long time aquaintance of his whom the lunars wanted to punish by selling to a Morokanth. (Droopsnout is letting him buy off his indenture at the rate of 50L per lunar or chaos creature killed) I don't know if I can say with a staight face that theirs is a typical morokanth/slave relationship. The norm is likely less friendly. I find Gloranthans to be generally as bigotted as earth people, but, because of healing magic, more prone to violence.

Please though, use Drooper & Gil as a model! They're great in bar fights and provide considerable comic relief.