DDHT

From: MARK HONEYMAN <arccmah_at_LUSTA.LATROBE.EDU.AU>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 1995 01:56:26 +1000

Greetings.......

I thank John for his interesting and eloquent 'Do Duck Have Teeth'. It was truly a [sophist]icated piece of 'conceptualisation and labelling'.

It is my belief that the *players* and the *playing of the game* are the generative processes in roleplaying games. Being a dynamic event, the author and relevant texts merely provide the setting and direction. The mechanics can be used or discarded at will. In playing the game, we transcend conceptualisation and actively create unique and evolving mythologies.

As for catharsis in roleplaying, I don't think that the many people are looking for a cathartic experience when gaming. It's far too commonplace. If one desires catharsis, one simple needs to go to the toilet......

BTW.... I always thought of ducks as being a cool and silly replacement for the ubiquitous Tolkienesque halflings of similar roleplaying genres.

And theres my 2 cents............

Cheers

It is only in troubled times that we hear : Mark Honeyman of *loyal* ministers [Lau Tzu] : arccmah_at_lusta.latrobe.edu.au