Illuminated Broos...

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 17:04:17 -0700 (PDT)

Graydon writes:
>Illumination allows you to present yourself as something that you're not;
>an Illuminated broo (presumably with 24 oz solid brass balls) can walk up
>to Stormbull on the Godplane and get a 'bugger of an illusion to be
>cursed with' response.

...just when I thought I would never be able to stay awake through all this Lunar/Illumination fluff... :) (Who cares what their motivations are? Just kill 'em...)

...a sentence, nay, a sentence fragment, streaks down out of the sky and knocks me out of my chair. I slowly regain my feet, brush myself off, and say:

"I believe there is a problem with your basic premise. Perhaps you should re-word it to read: 'Illumination allows you to PRETEND you're something you're not.'..."

Certainly, an Illuminated Broo with the aforementioned metal ornaments COULD walk in the general direction of Stormbull; but he'd be dead the moment Stormbull became aware of his presence. Would any Stormbull character shake hands with a Broo, simply because he failed his Sense Chaos? (Note: this is a rhetorical question; the answer is NO. Don't bother quoting me that passage about Oddi and the Crimson Bat; he was experiencing frustration over the fact that his Sense Chaos skill which theoretically hadn't failed him in years would fail when facing the most Chaotic creature he'd ever seen or was ever likely to see...just because a Stormbull fails his Sense Chaos roll does not mean that he is "convinced" that there is no Chaos present.) IMHO, no Stormbull could possibly believe in the "cleansed" Broo concept.

>(Someday I am going to be sufficently sadistic to
>inflict an illuminated heroquesting reformed Urox broo (with a bull's
>head, of course) on a campaign, but that day is not yet.)

I faced almost this exact situation recently (last year) when the GM of one of the campaigns I'm playing in decided he would create a "cleansed" Humakti Broo Hero to come down from the Hero Plane and help our party of Stormbulls in their quest to close a festering Chaos crack...thought it would be "ironic", etc. He spent many game sessions "working us over" with rumors of this great Humakti Hero and how much Chaos he was killing. When this didn't seem to be working, he "hinted" that perhaps a Divination to Stormbull would answer any doubts. The correct response to this suggestion, is , of course: "What doubts?" Is there ANY question a Stormbull Priest could possibly ask of Stormbull that is more ABSURD than "Is such-and-such Broo Chaotic?" It's a long story, but let's just say this "Hero" wasn't quite enough of one to handle a Berserk Stormbull Lord-Priest, or to survive a critical pole axe to the abdomen.

The moral of the story is:  "Don't be Chaotic; Stormbulls WILL kill you.
                             Don't look Chaotic; Stormbulls WILL kill you.
                             Don't smell Chaotic; Stormbulls WILL kill you.
                             Don't even joke about knowing someone who might
                             be Chaotic; Stormbulls WILL kill you."

Sorry if I'm a little overboard on this issue, but it's near and dear to my heart...