Re: God Learners and the Heroplane

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 1995 10:13:42 +0800

Some comments in reference to Graydon <saundrsg_at_qlink.queensu.ca>

>The God Learners figured out how to add, subtract, and change
>connections. You can't do this anymore; the downfall resulted in a
>change to the knots, so that mortals can no longer comprehend them.

        Hey, who says? I think God Learner techniques work just as well now as they ever did. Except for the small problem that people will try very hard to murder you if they think you are trying them. I can think of no evidence at all that God Learner techniques no longer work. Sure, Zistor is gone - but something similar could be created, if you managed to get that far without the Mostali gunning you down. And the more minor God Learner techniques of creative heroquesting seem to be in use both before and since the God Learners, just not in such an exploitative manner, or on such a wide scale.

        This should be interpreted as a call to remain ever vigilant against such evil behaviour, in any case.

>Arkat figured out how to jump from thread to thread; you no longer had to
>go through a God's life in linear order (impractical, for a mortal) to
>get something good, or find out what good there was to get.

        I think mixing and matching heroquest paths was possible before Arkat, and creative heroquesting was certainly possible (I think some was certainly involved in the creation of Osentalka, for example, but there are several other examples of people who forged their own path prior to Arkat - Hrestol is one good candidate). What Arkat did was figure out that what heroquests actually interacted, and so when he heroquested in a creative manner, rather than heading into the unknown, he was able to go into territory that he had already explored from a different direction. Arkat did not invent creative heroquesting, he just worked out a way to do it with some foreknowledge of what would happen. Which made it a lot less risky, true.

        Cheers
                David

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #43