Yelmer Fudds.

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 95 06:55:28 BST

Joerg Baumgartner ponders the following, and other sagacious Fergusonian paragraphs:
> > I think that for various reasons, Prax, and more particularly Sun County,
> > is more of a special case (at least if its printed history is even
> > halfway correct), rather than part of any such systematic overall pattern.

> Sun County was the first place Tarkalor's and Monrogh's fabrication was
> exported to. So, I agree with Alex - send in the Gift-Bringers!

Just dial 1-800-SEND-GOD. I was carefully avoiding specifying what _sort_ of special case it was; I can't even agree with myself on this one, much less anyone else.

> The farther north you come, the more you get the Lunar edict to accept
> Tarkalor's version, because it makes the Orlanthi sun-worshipping
> barbarians more friendly to the Empire.

Yup, pretty much what I thought. Obviously there will be some variation to this pattern: Elmali doing a Last Ditch Stand against the Lunars, and places where sun worship has been imported, rather than ever occurring natively, but close enough for Bureaucracy work, as my pals in the Red Army are wont to say.

> Until they worship Shargash or another Pelorian light deity....

Shargash is more "analogous" to Orlanth, if anything.

> > [...] Sun Dome (initially in southern Sartar, now
> > a little further south) isn't where the religion originated, but rather
> > where the Yelmalions were booted out of Sartar proper to.

> Here I disagree. Tarkalor used the invention of Yelmalio to conquer the
> Kitori during Saronil's or Sarotar's reign.

I wouldn't argue with this (except to helpfully correct Joerg's typo/ thinko to "Jarolar" -- he's in good company though; "Startar" King List, indeed...). My substantiative point was that the Yelmalions came from Sartar, and moved south to the present location, and I'm confused as to what (and if) is being disgreed with in this.

Caveat: I said Sartar "proper", but of course Farpoint wasn't in Sartar at this point, and is a ready source of (doubtless fractious) Solar cultists. So some, perhaps even most of the Sun Domers-to-be may have come from here.

Emptoriously,
Alex.