Re: Retiring Rune Levels and Super Quests

From: rstaats_at_mail.lmi.org
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 95 09:14:30 EST

     Greetings!

        Just a quick note on this topic.  It is more difficult to design
     challenging adventures for the RL PCs, but there is a potential for
     correspondingly greater rewards too.

        There have been campaigns I've run where getting to rune level was
     the price of admission for the ``real'' action.  One of the items that
     came up on the RQ Daily a couple of years ago (prompted by comments at
     RQ CON) was that every campaign should have some ``secret'' at its
     heart.  The players may discover it, or they might not.  (One of the
     examples of such a ``secret'' is Greg's secret of the God Learners.
     Supposedly besides Greg only Sandy and Nick know it --- it is a pretty
     well kept secret.)  Along those same lines, once admitted to RL, the
     PCs would have access to the ``secret'' knowledge at the heart of the
     cult.  That is a great place to start springing the really difficult
     assignments on them...

        ``Halwulf, you've recently been admitted to the ranks of the
     Boulder Lords.  You have special skills in questing, and your name has
     come up in discussions with the cult high leadership.  It's time we
     told you something.  You know that tribe of Slith . . .''  ;-)

        I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go!  ;-)

        In service,

        Rich