Re: Godly Mind Reading and Illumination

From: Henk Langeveld - ENS Europe <Henk.Langeveld_at_Holland.Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 14:58:17 +0200

> From: mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk (Mike Cule)
> Date: Fri, 04 Aug 1995 15:53:55 GMT
> Subject: Godly Mind Reading and Illumination.
>

>	The god does not know what a priest or initiate is thinking

> and cannot deduce motivations. A god knows facts. A god cannot invade
> anyone's mind though he or she will know when a worshipper has lost
> faith. Other knowledge given to a god by a priest or initiate must be
> volunteered through prayer.
"lost faith" to me means: broken the link. A god can tell whether a person is a worshipper or not. Illuminates don't break the link, but just don't use it any more.

"prayer" is "communion" - merging once's conscious self with that of the god, sharing one's conscious thoughts. [Poor gods, they must be subject to a constant background babble.]

> Now, as Mark observes this last passage causes some paradoxes. 'Loosing faith'
> is a highly subjective thing (in most mundane and modern religions) and yet
> the god, which 'only knows facts' is aware of it.
Which is why I define faith as above.

Reading on...
> Now, I have always taken a stronger position than most on the amount that gods
> know. (See back issues of the DAILY for more on this, ad infinitum, ad nauseam)
> But I think that with two extensions of the rule all can be made clear and we
> can have an improved definition of Illumination too.
Yes, I think we agree on these points.

But here we seem to depart onto different tracks...
> But when you are Illuminated you can break both these limits. You can
> consciously lie to your god. (He or she may stop believing you when it has other
> evidence: "No, Lord I was never near the broo encampment. Fyordis saw me there?
> He must be mistaken....") And you can break cult laws without breaking your
> link with the god. Formal excommunication by a living priest is the only way
> to get you out of the cult then.

I don't know the way out of this yet... But I like your presentation.

May the light shine on you...

Henk