Gloranthan physical reality

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 95 19:50:04 BST

Stephen R. Malelu is sorely vexed by the question of:
> [...] how closely Glorantha parallels the Real World.

With specific reference to:
> chromasomes [...] DNA and RNA [...] organic chemstry [...]
> physical chemistry, thermodynamics, quantum chemistry, [...]
> Newton? Aristotle? Pythagoras?

> I am hoping that some thoughtful individuals can assist me to derive
> some useful, at least partially consistent, model, or at least some insight
> into how to approach such questions.

I can certainly suggest a consistent approach: ignore 'em.

First of all, it's deucedly difficult for players of Gloranthan games to have any sort of informed opinion as to any of these matters. All Gloranthan cultures lack the scientific reasources to investigate any of these things properly, and are furthermore disinclined to. In many cases, both these things are true to a drastic extent. Praxian nomads are not big financial or intellectual contributers to the High Energy Runtrino project. Further to this, the players aren't themselves "on the ground" to experience and experiment with any of the associated phenomena, so have to make do with the limited bandwidth and biased filter of the game. For all we know, Gloranathan physics could be as mundane as or own, or could be some sort of bizarre Pratchettesque affair.

But more importantly, making arbitrary Greg Ex Machina decisions about such things would be overall bad for the game. For one thing it would subjugate the importance of the Mythic Reality of things in the game, and relatedly, encouraging as it would comparisons between the "real" state of things and the alleged religious orthodoxies. For another, it would inevitably tend to introduce a bias in the received game world towards one or other cultural viewpoint, depending on how they conformed with the Brave New Physics.

Alex, with his Scientist hat firmly off.