UZ

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 95 13:51:00 PDT

Tom Zunder points out that trolls are just like everybody else:

>Sorry to pour cold water all over the cry for Uz-ness but Uz
are just right as a playable race because they are 75% human. They really are dark-men, it is the 25% difference that gives them that little twist of difference.

I must agree. Reading the PC troll's goals in the prior post (to have full troll children, to lift the trollkin curse, etc), they stuck me as admirable and understandable. Yes, they are very much like a human's goals - to survive and reproduce. But since those are the primary goals of every living thing, why not trolls? In fact, given the troll obsession with eating, the trollkin curse, and historically dwindling troll numbers, I would think these goals would be more apparent in trolls than most other sentients in Glorantha.

As for giving trolls a unique outlook, they already have several sentient sub-species, a long history, mysterious and powerful deities, matriarchal societies, an affinity to an unusual element, an extra sense, power over insects, no aversion to eating sentients, etc. Endless hours of role-playing fun!

>I think that to make any race more alien is in fact to make them
unplayable.

More agreement - consider how rarely elves and dwarves are played - PC's from those cultures have to be psychotic. Troll PC's just have to be cleverer or hungrier than the average troll.

Pam