Re: HQ

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 18:44:33 +1000 (EST)

David Cake provides
> >This sounds very interesting, but what element differentiates this from any
> >other adventure?
> >
> There are quite a few good answers to a good question.
> A simple one is - any adventure where you deal with powerful
> otherworld beings is in some sense a 'heroquest'. In this case, the hags hut
> is on the fringes of the otherworld as well. But no, there is not a sharp
> dividing line between what is a 'heroquest' and what is just an adventure
> involving the otherworld, and I don't think I want there to be one. Some
> other heroquest rules have a sharp distinction between 'our' world and the
> 'heroplane' that must be crossed with a deal of difficulty. I am not so
> convinced.

Ok course people/characters don't have to know they are on a HQ. You may find some fantastic lost treatise, or fight a baboon shaman and war band. These may all be heroquests in that the beings are unknowingly involved in a recreation of events that their Gods did. In one sense, one could say that since the Dawn there has been nothing new except some momentus events which, because they didn't follow an existing (even if unknown) path, became momentus. Every other thing that happens is just a recreation of some (normally your own) God's path.

In line with our trickster article, this could be the reason for the cosmic compromise - the Gods really were not giving up any power in that the mortals were really just following in known paths. The exceptions show the cases where the old gods really do intervene (including Castle Blue).

Ahh, I can see a new religion in this!

Robert