Northern Lights

From: mr happy <ajbehan_at_tcd.ie>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 14:11:30 +0100 (BST)

> g.willoughby_at_ic.ac.uk
> Aurorae
> =======
> RQ: These are sylphs and minor wind spirits moving the air around - they can
> be seen from any sufficiently high ground and in areas where storm worship is
> strong.

The Sky Storm described in the astronomy chapter of Elder Secrets struck me as being the Gloranthan analogue to the Aurora Borealis. The Aurora is traditionally connected with the onset of stormy weather. IMHO the Sky Storm is connected with the Solar Storm, an ancient ruler of the Kingdom of Ignorance. Steve Gilham (TotRM #9) has previously pointed out that like a cerain character from Lears nonsense poetry the ghost of Sun Storm's (illuminated?) third eye wanders Jankley Bore at night sometimes. No doubt the Aurora is merely the luminesence of Sun Storms spectral nose lighting up the night sky! I fancy that this ghost protects the East from the incursions of the renegade storm gods and that when he leaves his post to wander mournfully across his former domain the Thunderer gusts through the paddy fields.
- -----
Andrew Behan

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #55