Uz otherness

From: SogCity_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 12:43:07 -0400

Nick Hollingsworth pointed out that much of the coloring of Glroanthan trolls is cultural, then asked

"Can anyone point me to something that expressed Uz 'otherness'."

This isn't my uniquely my observation, but darned if I can recall what  esteemed thinker came up with it too.

Uz are more intimately connected to their gods than men are. Though the pedigree may be distant, all trolls KNOW in a visceral way that their many-times-great-grandmother is Korasting. And Kyger Litor. The gods are their parents. Trolls feel this more strongly than even the most devout human follower of a god.

I think the need to be submissive to Mistress trolls is also deeply 'hardwired' into other trolls. I've only seen one person really play this right in a game--Greg Maples troll character did a wonderful job of totally submissive toelicking, face-in-the-dirt submission before the Mothers. The startling transformation from this to his aggressive, constantly pushy attempts to exert dominance over his peers was a wonderful contrast. Especially when he played the "I'm better because I'm more submissive to the Mothers than you" game.

But only Sandy Petersen seems to successfully project just how much of a troll's attention is constantly focused on eating.

Mike Dawson
(More info about Codex 4 and other topics coming soon.)