Definition of Greg

From: Michael C. Morrison 8-543-4706 <mmorrison_at_VNET.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 95 13:06:49 PDT

John asked for definitions "Greg". I can't claim that these are truly original, but I did post them to the digest about a year ago. And although there are some who rather dislike using Greg's name as other than his name, I repost the definitions for John's benefit.

> greg (n) - 1. a theory, system or map that is correct according to
> published and unpublished writings of Greg Stafford.
> 2a. a unit of measure that describes the correctness of
> a theory, system or map, according to published and
> unpublished writings of Greg Stafford.
> 2b. a unit of measure that describes how much has been
> written by Greg Stafford about a particular topic; can be
> measured in words, pages, or multiples of either.
>
> Thanks to Henk for inspiring 2b.
>
> As a bonus, consider this definition:
>
> greg (adj) - correct, according to published and unpublished writings
> of Greg Stafford.
>
> For completeness, perhaps:
>
> greg (adv) - in a correct manner, according to published and unpublished
> writings of Greg Stafford.
>

> Here's a reprise (with a correction, for Alex) of the verb form:
>
> greg (v) - 1a. To prove one's own theories or disprove competing theories
> by citing (usually) unpublished writings of Greg Stafford.
> 1b. To refute a theory because it does not fit with currently
> held views (this form only applies to Greg Stafford himself).
> 2. To use any unpublished source to prove one's own theories
> or disprove competing theories. 3. To use nonexistent sources
> or sources one cannot produce as evidence to prove one's own
> theories or disprove competing theories.

Michael

Michael C. Morrison   Santa Teresa Laboratory     Phone (408)463-4706
IMS User Technology   IBM Software Solutions      Fax   (408)463-4101
Bitnet ID:            MCM at VNET           IBMLink:  MORRISON_at_TORIBM
IBM Mail Exchange:    USIB47H4 at IBMMAIL     or  USIB4MCM at IBMMAIL
X.400 Address:        G=mcmgm; S=morrison; P=ibmmail; A=ibmx400; C=us