Runes...

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 17:13:36 +1300

Jean Durupt:

>Does anyone on the digest know how the mermen live?

Underwater? Seriously tho, this would be Sandy's turf.

Alex Ferguson:

Oh dear. Alex has raised an old thread from the dead and thus forces me to defend myself in Metcalfian Detail.

>>>the Malkioni don't subscribe to the whole Rune Thing in
>>>the first place

>Peter Metcalfe states the obvious:
>> The Malkioni in their God-Learner phase standardized the Runes.

>I see: the God Learners standardised the Runes, God Learners were
>Malkioni, therefore all Malkioni use runes. Similarly, all elephants
>are pink.

If the Modern Malkioni disdain everything connected to the God Learners, then where does that leave the Cult of the Invisible God? My thinking is that current orthodox Malkionism (Hrestolism and Rokarism) result from a _purification_ of the God Learner ethos that ruled during the days of the Middle Sea Empire. The Runes to the modern Malkioni are perfectly fine so long as one doesn't start worshipping the damn things. The Error of the God Learners according to the Modern Malkioni was that they had let their personalities become emeshed in the Physical World by worshipping False Gods.

>That some onetime, by then pretty much apostate, Malkioni
>produced the crinkle-cut rune set says nothing about what present-day
>Malkioni make of them. Just ask Paul R., with his ritually-Gregged
>Rune Sorcery, about this one.

And I said they probably use it as a writing system. What do you think the major use of Runes was for? HeroQuesting? Making pretty patterns?

>> I'm pretty certain the Malkioni still uses runes although mainly to
>> write with these days.

>I see no reason to believe either in present day use of runes by the
>Malkioni, or that they ever used them as a writing system.

Well what would you have the Malkioni to write with, then? hmm? Cuniform Clay Tablets?

The Fortunate Succession shows that the Dara Happan Runes have _common_ _elements_ with the crinkle-cut runes (Circle for Sky, Square for Earth etc) to support a common ancestry. This is, IMO, related to Yelm's Empire of Light. Now considering that the Malkioni know of Ehilm, a Solar God, who was expelled by Malkion, it seems that the Kingdom of Logic also lay under Yelm's benevolent aegis. Thus the Malkioni would have a primitive runic system similar to that of the Dara Happans, Theyalans etc. This would have developed into a proper writing system during the Early Gods^H^H^H^H Ice Age.

Now comes the Silence. The Malkioni are mute. They can only pass written messages around. The upshot of this is that when the Silence ends, the Malkioni have become _anal_retentive_ about their runes. They elevate the Mythic Importance of the Runes to the Skies. This explains to me the passion of the God-Learners and the early Malkioni have for Runes.

When the Jrusteli (who were good malkioni to start with) develop the RuneQuest Sight to look into the Otherworld, IMO, they were conditioned by their culture to expect Runes. I don't think the Runes are actually there. Now if the runes were of Theyalan origin, _you_ are in fact making the Theyalan Runes _objectively_ true for the Jrusteli didn't have much contact with the Theyalans at that time. Reductio ad absurdum?

Now when the God Learners get their just deserts for being apostate scumbags, the Malkioni are still going to be writing, IMO. What could they replace their script with? I think instead of junking it wholesale, the Modern Malkioni would instead view numerology and cabalism as being God Learner magic and thus a punishable offense. It is only now that the runes are starting to creep back into religious iconography.

>I do,
>however, suspect that some of the runes may once have been used by
>the _Theyalans_ as a writing system, before the God Learners came along
>and co-opted them. Maybe I'm biased by the fact that some of the runes
>were pinched from the RW Futhark, with the obvious Nordic/Saxon analogy.

Really? I thought some of them were of hermetic origin myself, thus leading credence to a Western origin. But to the point, why would the God-Learner's co-opt weird runes belonging to savage barbarians when they have a perfectly adequate set of runes at home.