The Sky. (fwd)

From: Majordomo <major_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 22:55:37 -0400 (EDT)

Forwarded message:
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 16:29:24 +0100 (BST) From: mr happy <ajbehan_at_tcd.ie>
To: owner-glorantha-digest_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu Subject: The Sky.

Peter Metecalfe sez:
> If the Sky Storm (the phenomenon) is actually connected to the Sun Storm
> (the God), then I would expect to see his cult elsewhere in the World.
> It would be somewhat unusal for a recognition and worship of a physical
> phenomenon to be confined _solely_ to one locale.

 We are talking about the -Northern- Lights here. Bliss of Ignorance and Koromandol are amongst the most northerly settled regions in Glorantha. If you have little experience of the Aurora Borealis why worship it? (I'm, of course, not sure of the range of the Gloranthan Aurora so I stand to be corrected. However I would take it's absence from the lore of other cultures to indicate that it is indeed strongest in Koromondol.)

> I think that in Bliss in Ignorance, the Sun Storm has been identified with
> the Sky Storm in the Heavens rather than the actual God having anything to
> do with it.

 The Malkioni say that the Sun is just a fire disc, the Orlanthi say it's Elmal, the Dara Happans say it's Yelm and the Pentans say it's Kargantz. What about Tolat/Shargash? These are cultural truths, gospel for one society and heresy for another. The same goes for Solar Storm. Even in the RW different societies have radically different interpretations of what the Aurora Borealis is (ghosts, a magic bonfire etc.) The monomyth is dead, and don't forget it!

> Thus Priests of the Sun Storm in Ignorance, being normal
> peaceful types...

Normal? Peaceful?! These guys are from the Kingdom of Ignorance, have you read the Black Sun write-up?

Finally thanks to Pam Carlson and John Hughes for their excellent recent articles.
- ------
Andrew Behan.