Cultural ceremonies

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 15:59:11 +0200

Michael Raaterova:
>If you have any cultural ceremonies written down, collecting
>digital dust on your disc, post them to the digest!

OK! Here is some stuff I wrote this morning about the rituals held at various stages of life on the island Mingai, one of the Korolan Isles in the southern region of the Ten Thousand Islands of Dawn, also known as the East Isles.

Birth
- -----

A new-born child is blessed by a priest of Mingemelor, Mingai's patron god who lives in the volcano on the island. The child is placed under Mingemelor's protection.

Coming of age

An youngster is accepted into the world of the adults after Thella, the goddess of Dawn has sent a magic dream to her. The priests will instruct the youngster in what it means to be an adult and how to use the dream to do magic.

When there are a number of adolescents waiting to be initiated a cermenony is held at the temple. It is most pretigious to attend this ceremony at the High temple which is placed where a lava stream pours from the side of the volcano. In the ceremony the new adults sacrifice a point of POW to become part of Thella's net. Then they sacrifice a part of themselves into the altar fire, or the lava stream at the high temple. This is usually a lock of hair, but devout candidates sometimes sever a finger or toe or knock out a tooth.

Marriage

The marriage ritual is simple. The priest blesses the couple and their union is sanctioned. Once they are married their children are eligible for the birth rites mentioned above. Children born to unmarried parents cannot be placed under Mingemelor's protection until the parents are married or the child is given over to communal care, in which case Mingemelor and Thella are considered god-father and god-mother of the child (no pun intended). If the couple who marry sacrifice a point of POW each the unions becomes stronger, it is often called "burning with one flame". Such a marriage cannot be dissolved with divorce.

Burial
- ------

The dead body is cremated, preferably by immersion in Mingemelor's crater. If the family cannot transport the body to the crater it is burnt on a pyre and the ashes are gathered in a pot for later transport to the crater. Priests of Mingemelor and Thella bless the departed and prat for his safe passage to Vithela.

/Nils W