Literacy

From: Michael Raaterova <cabal_at_algonet.se>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 16:04:26 +0200

Peter Metcalfe on writing:

>I'm of the opinion that really all scripts have a high form (ie
>hieroglyphs) to use in public works ('Office of the Imperial Auditor')
>and a low form which most literai use in day-to-day communication (ie
>hieratic). The R/W skill covers both these scripts.

For the hieratic type of script to evolve, i'd think literacy has to be widespread. Otherwise there wouldn't be day-to-day communication. So what cultures have widespread literacy? What cultures hold writing as sacred and forbid 'profane' use of the holy letters? Some cultures are bound to view literacy as restricted to nobles and/or priests. If we take an egyptian analogy, lettercraft could be a mystery understood only by Scribes (in a predominantly oral culture writing is very propably seen as arcane or mysterious).

I don't think every Lankhor Mhy is literate - a minority more likely. In LM temples i suspect Letterer is one of the important cult personae, in addition to Chronicler, Lawspeaker, Philosopher, Diviner and Collector. Irripi Ontor dudes undoubtedly have higher degrees of literacy.

In western cultures i'd think that literacy is exclusively for nobles. I agree with Peter on the dread Scribe Schools.

>The Dara Happans have an _alphabet_ given in the Fortunate Succession,
>much to my disgust (I was hoping for a syllabary). However I feel the
>alphabet follows strict rules in spelling making it a partial syllabary.
>This explains how Orlanth becomes known as Oralanatus by the Dara Happans.

I suspect this is because of the Harappa-Dara Happa analogy. Sanskrit written with traditional devanagari script sounds exactly like what you are describing, i.e. a partial syllabary with *strict rules* (trust me, i tried to learn it - if you're not highly motivated to learn it, you won't).

>My guess is that Cuneiform originates
>from Esrolia, the home of Earthspeech, which is stated to be easy to
>inscribe on clay (in Shadows on the Borderlands). However I think that
>since the God Learner conquest of Esrolia, Cuneiform has fallen from use
>in favour of the standard tradetalk alphabet and only extremely traditional
>places (like Earth Temples) use the cuneiform any more.

I think not. The cuneiform script used would have strong ties to the cultural traditions and religion. I can't think of any RW culture that has changed their system of writing and not fundamentally modified their religion/culture, which has not happened in Esrolia [what i know of].

In the ancient middle east there was a bunch of writing systems co-existing, and most of the literati used more than one script. In Esrolia i think the tradetalk
alfabet is used parallell to cuneiform.

I also believe that there are specific Scribe Shops in the cities where you can get contracts, wills, letters, proclamations or whatever written up by professional (though not secular) Scribes.

>The Heortlings also had a set of runes in the ancient days, which used
>like the Futhark runes. However, IMO, these were heavily modified
>during the reign of the EWF. All modern writing systems of the Orlanthi,
>IMO, derive from the Old Wyrmish alphabet. The scripts around the Holy
>Country may have been standardized by the Only Old One while he lived,
>whereas the Pelorian Theyalan tongues would have a more direct descent.
>The Godis and other folk who care will use the pre-EWF runes out of
>tradition. An example of the EWF runes can be found in KoS.

Personally i fancy the idea that orlanthi use a 'primitive' ideo/pictogrammatic style. I wouldn't call it 'writing' - it would be more on the lines of conceptual presentation, like traffic signs or the 'original' cuneiform (symbolic pictures). The knowledge of this 'script' is of course sacred to the [rural] Lankhor Mhy.

I suspect orlanthi culture is highly oral, Storm Speech and all - you don't need written contracts when you have their Word on it. A minority of Issaries merchants and Lankhor Mhy sages should be literate, though, through contact with furriners you just can't trust. In urban centers literacy is of course more widespread.

The interesting point is not how the scripts work, but the attitudes to writing, letters and literacy from a cultural view. Sacredness, restrictions, Scribes and arcane discipline. Stuff like that is, for me, more useful in my understanding of Glorantha.

And, yes, one thing that we in our modern, highly textual society don't understand - in some oral cultures reading is never casual. Letters are not considered to just convey a message, they have implications of their own, in addition to the text. Even if you can *read*, it is not at all sure you know how to *write*. Writing is a mystery, a 'sacred' practice understood by the elect. Or it might be forbidden for non-scribes to practice lettercraft.

This attitude to lettercraft is of course only a transitional stage in the development of writing, but some cultures in Glorantha are bound to be in this stage. The East perhaps, with non-scribe restrictions, or Dara Happa?

About the Runes. I think that the Runes of the Gods are never used in casual writing as they are too magical and have very heavy conceptual implications and cultural connotations. They might be used in contemplation and as sacred signs or signs of power [runes on shields, clothing, king's regalia, sacred stones etc] though.

Though i'm far from being on expert, i have studied comparative linguistics and the evolution of writing a bit. I'm not unreasonable though, should anyone have complaints on the above.