Sacred Marriage and Letters

From: Michael Raaterova <cabal_at_algonet.se>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 01:05:18 +0200

Kudos to Klaus! Now here's a piece worth looting for my Far Pointish endeavours.

>River Day
>The sacred marriage of the city and the river is consummated. The role
>of the city is played either by the Lord of the City or by counsellor
>Wharf. Usually a new Lord will play the part on his first River Day in
>office, and counsellor Wharf will play it other years. Exceptions are
>made on the occasions when either office is held by a woman. Lunar
>influence is making female high officials less and less rare.

Are the participants performing their mythical roles also married physically, or is it just a One Ceremony Stand? Is it an actual sexual union or just symbolical? From your remark about women i surmise it's a physical union, but surely there must be male priests/lords/whatever of the River Cult, making the problem non-existent? Or is it a part of the mythical truth that the City is male and the River female?

I also wonder if there's a possible ceremony for the courtship of the City and River. Are there any myths about heroes defending the City of River from Dire Foes? Those myths could provide some special magics for the City Cult.

This gave me some sketchy ideas about the courtship-troubles between Alda Chur, Ernalda and the Lafy of the Wilds and the resulting marriage between Alda Chur and Ernalda, or some Daughter of Earth, and their daughter, the Stone Tree. Hmm. Might be interesting. Must have some mythic connection to the rivalry of the Two Wives of Orlanth (also Ernalda and the Lady of the Wilds).

Spiralling reluctantly back to my studies...