Praise be

From: adrian_at_odin.no
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 10:51:38 +0200

Hi, the once and future awhite_at_intera.co.uk here.

This is a rather belated response to some home-page crawling I did before my expulsion to the Ygg Isles. So, to Loren Miller, David Dunham and Robert MacArthur ....... great stuff, loved your pages, especially Loren's niffty graphics. And to anyone else who has the technology but hasn't taken a look, do it!

Also, while I am gushing, I really liked the seasonal calendars and boundary day/plough day ceremonies.

On the subject of literacy and written scripts.

I think someone postulated that the Tradetalk alphabet could form the basis of many written forms of the Theylan languages. Now, if Tradetalk was constructed and "distributed" by the GL would it be based on the same alphabet/script as they used. Do the various Malkioni cultures (and possibly also splinter groups like the Carmanians) also use a script based on this GL original?

Would this give human Genertela three basic scripts?

  1. Dara Happan (sanscrit analogue?)
  2. Earthspeach (cuniform)
  3. GL root (Latin script?)

Anyway the above is just my rambling extrapolation, if I've missed something or indeed just stated the obvious, apologies (for the record my knowledge of languages is so poor I live by spellcheckers!).

Seasonal sacrifices.

The description of the plough day ceremony mentioned sacrificing a bull and a cow. In Peloria would the rural people maintain commonly owned livestock, similarly to the clan cattle of the Orlanthi? Or could the duty of supplying the sacrificial beasts fall to an individual family, maybe decided by lot?

If it is an individual responsibility, I see a possible scenario hook! Poor old uncle Egbert, his young calf died over winter and he only has his stringy old cow as sacrifice, can the PC's rush deliver a healthy young calf in time to save uncle from shame and the village from the displeasure of grain goddess?

ttfn

Adrian