Sacred Marriage

From: Klaus Ole Kristiansen <klaus_at_diku.dk>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 12:57:10 +0200

cabal_at_algonet.se (Michael Raaterova) writes:

>>River Day
>>The sacred marriage of the city and the river is consummated.

>Are the participants performing their mythical roles also married
>physically, or is it just a One Ceremony Stand? Is it an actual sexual
>union or just symbolical? From your remark about women i surmise it's a
>physical union, but surely there must be male priests/lords/whatever of the
>River Cult, making the problem non-existent? Or is it a part of the
>mythical truth that the City is male and the River female?

The human participants are not married for more than that one day. That the Janube is female is firmly established in Riverjoin. (This may or may not mean that she is considered female everywhere.) She must be represented by a woman at this ceremony, and similarly the city must be represented by a man.

I don't know what else has been written about this area. If the culture is very prudish, the union may be purely symbolical. Even a symbolical marriage may need participants of the right genders. OTOH the union may be physical. This is what I would expect of an Orlanthi ceremony.

I don't really need to know. If I ever get the campaign started, the PCs will be lay members. The representatives of the two cults dispappear into this special cottage next to the River Goddess shrine, and mere lay members are not told what goes on inside.

>I also wonder if there's a possible ceremony for the courtship of the City
>and River. Are there any myths about heroes defending the City of River
>from Dire Foes? Those myths could provide some special magics for the City
>Cult.

Now we are getting into some interesting mythology. Is there anything written about the history of this area? I have the Genertela box. Is there anything else?

Klaus O K
PS Sorry about the subject line of my previous post.