Talor and Danfive Xaron

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 1995 23:55:09 +1300

Nick Brooke:

returns and writes a whole lot of stuff including:

>Anyoldhow, it was at this point that the Carmanians rediscovered the
>Lightbringers Quest (hereafter LBQ).

>Rediscovered, of course, because the first time they'd encountered it was when
>their cultural forefather, Talor the Laughing Warrior, was rescued from some
>form of "Hell" (poss. within the Gate of Banir?) by Harmast Barefoot's second
>LBQ.
Tricky this! The RQ Companion said that Harmast's second LBQ did not succeed as well although he did manage to get the Keys of Castle Kartolin for Talor. Thus I suspect that Talor's meeting with Harmast & Co in Hell was not a Classic LBQ, although to people looking through the Glasses of the Monomyth, it might appear to be so.

My current take on Talor is that he was stuck in Hell, beyond the Banirian Gate. Perhaps he had closed it by going over to the Other Side but was trapped by the act of its closing. Harmast, pissed of at Arkat the Troll, heroquests. In his Westfaring leaps, I suppose he Steps in a wrong place and is captured by the Dara Happans and Krjalki while they're sacking Ralios and is imprisioned in Castle Kartolin. Harmast gets free, and grabs the Keys to Kartolin but is forced to leave by the Basement entrance: ie Hell.

So Harmast wanders around in Hell aimlessly in Hell completely lost. I think he does some special magic to help him find a friend and so is lead to Trapped Talor. Harmast meets up with Talor and gets his bearings straight. Talor recieves some help from Harmast (like healing). Now Harmast wants to continue the LBQ. However he realizes he's badly screwed as it is and thus his chances of returning are poor to say the least. He can see Talor is on his way out whereas Harmast might end up in Deeper Shit. So he gives Talor the Keys so that something useful can be done with them.

Talor thus seeing a way out of Hell comes up (east of his location) and was seemingly rescued by the Lightbringers. He then knows he has the Way in Kartolin where Arkat failed. So he reorganizes his army and sets of across the High Llama pass into Ralios and for the rest of the story you can read Lords of Terror.

In his map of Seven Mothers onto Lightbringers, Nick makes:

>Danfive/Orlanth (nobody on this list, I am sure, can see how Orlanth might
>become a bandit, rapist and murderer from a Pelorian perspective).

Try Gagarth. He's connected with Star Bears at his station of the Red Goddess's Quest, so I hear. Now Star Bears are connected with Gagarth as His Wild Hunt chases the bloody things (See ToTRM#4 for the Writeup of 'Gargarth'). It thus seems to me that the Red Goddess has turned the myth inside out in her Quest by making Danfive Xaron the Hunted Star Bear rather than the Hunter for arcane reasons of her own. Similarly I think this is how Irrippi Ontor was transmuted into the Teller of White Lies and Yanafal became resurrectable.