More Writing.

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 13:43:26 +1300

Adrian ???:

>I think someone postulated that the Tradetalk alphabet could form the basis of
>many written forms of the Theylan languages. Now, if Tradetalk was constructed
>and "distributed" by the GL would it be based on the same alphabet/script
>as they used.

Yes.

>Do the various Malkioni cultures (and possibly also splinter
>groups like the Carmanians) also use a script based on this GL original?

Not the GL original, they would get their script from the Brithini Original.

>Would this give human Genertela three basic scripts?

>1) Dara Happan (sanscrit analogue?)
>2) Earthspeach (cuniform)
>3) GL root (Latin script?)

You left out Kralori Ideograms. I suspect the Teshnans use something different. Anybody have any ideas what the Teshnans for writing?

Michael Raaterova:

[on the literacy of Lhankor Mhy]

>Perhaps i didn't put enough emphasis on the reason i don't think orlanthi
>or LM are that keen on literacy. I think these Stormspeechers see orality
>as the Mythically/culturally Correct thing. Letters are suspicious foreign
>stuff. In Sartar the pervasive lunar influence creates a backlash - the
>orlanthi keeps even tighter to their traditional ways, which means they
>shun literacy and letters as filthy lunar propaganda.

Now I see your point. The more traditional tribes would probably adopt the attitude that you suggest whereas the 'Appeasers' would be more forward-thinking. The problem is that Lhankor Mhy was once the God of Remembering things and has now become a God of Sages. Now if you want to become a Sage, where do you go to? The City!

...and rural sceptics:
>>I suspect that religious attitudes towards letters would be strongest
>>in the less urban regions (Genertelan examples would be Inland Wenelia,
>>Eastern Ralios, Upland Fronela, the Ygg Isles, Brolia, Balazar, the Shan
>>Shan Mountains, Bliss in Ignorance and Teshnos).

>Why should religious attitudes to letters be stronger in less urban areas?
>Religion *forced* the artificial development of secular scripts in urban
>Egypt. Now, that's religious attitude. Of course, later the
>de-sacralization of hieroglyphics allowed religious and cultish texts to be
>written with the secular hieratic script, but that was after hundreds of
>years of holy letters ('hieroglyph' actually means 'sacred carving' in
>greek).

The trouble is much of the well civilized regions seem to have gone past the de-sacralization of hieroglyphs,having had writing ever since before the Great Darkness. Perhaps the Loskalmi Cardinals would treat learning to read and write being suitable for only those in the Wizard Caste and above? A new philosophy to transform Loskalm into a State closer to the Invisible God perhaps?

[origins of writing]

>Personally
>i'd think it originated in some urban Solar culture, but i haven't found a
>good region yet, as i don't have enough Glorantha Gnosis to make an
>educated proposal.

As for the origins of writing, Murharzarm of Dara Happa is stated to have invented clay tokens to solve the Remembering Problem. Written Laws came later although still before the Great Darkness. The Orlanthi were still neolithics in Sheepskins at this time so I doubt that Issaries or Sarries Goldentongue invented writing.

The West knows that its writing system came from the Kingdom of Logic. They appear to be the oldest script in current use as the Vadeli and the Brithini (who have hated each other for a long time) use the same script. I think the Oldest script actually belongs to the Artmali when their Empire in Pamaltela flourished but since its collapse (before the Sun fell), nobody knows how to read it.

The Kralori writing system is said to have been invented by Emperor Mikaday which is still before the Great Darkness. I think that before that they used some kind of primitive pictogram system (like that found in Shang Dynasty Dragon Bones in China). This pictogrammic style would be found in Vormain, Bliss in Ignorance and the East Isles

John Snead:

>>Dreams and the dreamworld are very central to East Islander culture and
>>beliefs. For example they don't use spirit magic or sorcery but their
>>own dream magic, where you use your magical force (MPs) to impose an
>>aspect of your dream on reality.

>So, does anyone have ay more data on East Isalnd magic? Descriptions,
>rules, whatever...

To be detailed in Codex #4, along with other Kewl Stuff by Sandy, Nils and Greg Fried about the East Isles.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #63