DX, Orlanth, and furriner gods

From: Dennis Hoover <us001363_at_interramp.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 95 10:22:33 PDT

Nick writes:
>>...Danfive/Orlanth (nobody on this list, I am sure, can see how Orlanth might
>>become a bandit, rapist and murderer from a Pelorian perspective).

From a Pelorian perspective, the significant difference lies in Danfive's repentence/redemption. ;-)

Pam asks:
>> why does the Evil Emperor of the Orlanthi myths
>>always have to be some Solar furriner? And does the Murderer of Yelm (if
>>that myth is even believed) always have to be an unwashed Orlanthi
>>barbarian?

In mundane history one's neighbors gods are always devils (in fact the word 'devil' comes to English from the Persions and is cognate with the Sanskrit word devi = god), so I don't see anything unusual about cross-cultural mythological influences. In fact, I would hesitate to call them cross-cultural. Oralanatus is as much a Pelorian deity as is Yelm. When you try to figure out whether Oralanatus or Rebellus Terminus is really the same deity as the Theyalan Orlanth, you enter very sticky territory. I prefer to stick to a purely subjective view and get out the stake and firewood whenever anyone delves into comparative mythology. :-)

Dennis