Kralorelan cults

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 08:44:28 +0200

Andrew Behan's description of Kralorelan divine cults sounds very plausible. One might add that Sandy wrote a very good piece on the subject in the Digest, this spring I think. The main item of that article was that the Kralorelan give worship to many gods just as Andrew writes, but don't expect to get direct returns in the form of divine spells. Instead worship is everyone's duty according to positionin society, because strong deities help the same society in a general fashion. I think one example was to give worship to Den Xi (Dendara) and other agricultural deities and in return the farmers don't get Bless crops spells, but the fertility of the whole land is subtly increased.

To that I would add that if such is the case, the individual Kralorelans turn to mysticism and the paths of enlightenment, or weird cults like the Path of Immanent Mastery, if and when they want personal magic rather than communal magic.

Irresponsible nitpick of the day:

Peter:
>The cultures have now come into contact
>with each other and are aware of each other.

A very good point.

>Plus 500 years ago, the
>God Learners did a good job of screwing the original myths to such an
>extent nobody is sure what they were.

Only partially a good point. This was about a theory on Dara Happan myth. The GLs screwed up the myths of the west, central Genertela, north-western Pamaltela and Kralorela but they never got to Dara Happa and the East Isles for example, so while the myths of these places certainly have evolved, it is not because of GL influence.

Now all of this is of course just argument for argument's sake, since I am enough of a monomythic monomaniac to hold the opinion that some version of the myth that Storm killed the Sun can be found just about everywhere in Glorantha. The name of Storm and Sun may of course vary, as may the details of the event.

/Nils W