Darkbringer's Quest and Lunar Justice

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 1995 22:58:57 +1300

Nils Weinander:

>Sorcerer Metcalfe, methinks thou hast researched deeply in the sorcerous
>art of Range to achieve such exalted reach with thine mind reading magic.

Thank thee. My current task is to divine the nature of the forbidden secret by scanning the minds of all those who know it from afar. The only problem is that the forbidden secret confers supernatural resistance to my most potent magics. In reading Sandy's mind, all I can percieve is 'Eat me'.

Hans Van Halteren:

>if there is a Carmanian Lightbringers' Quest (however big that "if" is),
>shouldn't they also have a Darkbringers' Quest?

I think if the Carmanians ever did formalize some myths into a Darkbringers Quest, I can think of one god would be prominent: Argan Argar/YarGan. My theory is that YarGan after he was kicked out of Pelande went South to found the land of Esrolia. The Sky is still Golden at this stage although it turns blue later on. I believe that Argan Argar left Esrolia to ascend the Spike and bring about the Black Sky, by summoning Xentha. With Xentha's blessing the Trolls were made stronger and could preserve the world from Chaos. However I think this myth would be stronger in Esrolia as YarGan never went back to Pelande.

Nick Eden:

>Also, and sort of related: Does anyone know what the Lunar attitude to
>wereguild is? I take it that while it's a part of life in Sartar and
>Prax, the Lunars would look down on the idea as primative, claiming that
>they value life much more than that.

Perhaps it's a perfectly good idea so long as the authorities recieve the appropiate duty on it. Nine parts out of every ten sounds reasonable. Of course, if the authorites want to force the natives to go through the Lunar Justice system instead of through the local jury systems, they could exact the duty on the wereguild _regardless_ of whether it has been paid or not. That way plantiffs would go through the Lunar system rather than potentially risk confiscation of their farms and enslavement.

Now why would you think the Lunars would be interested in adminstration of Justice between the natives? My guess is that it provides an opportunity for money making. RW Greek Jurors were paid for serving and the money was levied out of the losing side (I think). Plus there's ample scope for recieving kickbacks and bribes. I would make jurors in a Lunar Provincial Court required to be Lunar Citizens. That way the system is biased against those who do not accept the Lunar Way and in favour of those who do. Truly a win-win situation.

>Of course if you kill a Lunar they
>whip out the Marble Phalanx and cruicfy you and all your family until you
>stop killing them.

Why spare the farmstock?