Fazzurites n'stuff

From: David Hall <100116.2616_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 19 Aug 95 09:24:24 EDT

Peter Metcalfe writes:
>hmm. I think Fazzur had died before Pharandros ascended to the Ivory Throne
>of Tarsh. Ozzur was the Leader of the revolt against Pharandros. You can
>blame Fazzur for bringing up his kids wrong...

I'm sure he was a bad father too - it would be true to type. However, according to one source in King of Sartar p.127 Pharandros ascended the throne in 1610 well before Fazzur died. It also suggests that the relationship between Fazzur & Pharandros was not good.

There is actually no mention of Fazzur's betrayal or death, which I believe is likely to show that the author was a Fazzur apologist and preferred not to sully his reputation further. I think that around 1630 or 1631 Fazzur finally rebelled against Pharandros and attempted to set up his own kingdom in the same mould as Palashee Longaxe.

Of course, as Joerg and I proved in an earlier digest, Fazzur was eventually killed by his own sons due to Fazzur's taking of an Esrolite mistress and the subsequent death of their mother. An additional motivation for his sons would have been gaining favour with Pharandros.

Ozzur, presumably the only loyal son left, carried on his father's work, for the glory of the family and the clan. He hunted down every one of his murderous brothers and killed them.

Pam Carlson writes:
>why does the Evil Emperor of the Orlanthi myths always have to be some Solar
furriner?

Throughout their history the hill-dwelling Orlanthi's greatest cultural enemy has been the lowland sun worshippers. Slowly, but surely, many Orlanthi have been seduced by lowland ways. The Yelmalio/Elmal problem is only the latest manifestation of this ongoing clash of cultures. It's therefore only logical that Orlanthi myths involve the Evil Emperor who seeks to enslave us all.

Pete Metcalfe:
>>Now if you want to become a Sage, where do you go to? The City!

Michael Raaterova
>I'd say the majority of Sages are rural Lawspeakers.

Depends what you mean by a sage. I'd say the majority of Lhankor Mhy worshippers would be Lawspeakers, but most of these Lawspeakers wouldn't make very good "sages". Their tradition is overwhelmingly oral, and their letters, while better than most everyone else in the clan, won't be all that good. The majority of the clan won't know any letters at all.

If you want a sage who can read without moving his lips (though he'll still have use his finger to keep his place in the text) and who knows a fair amount of stuff outside of clan history and legal precedent, then you'd best go to a city with a library. Some of those sages can even read a scroll or page in less than half-an-hour.

Lhankor Mhy is primarily a knowledge god, and not a literacy god.

>I've never seen the Jonstown compendium.
>Why do Grey Sages _need_ literacy?

The Grey Sages of Jonstown have decided that it's a more reliable way of storing knowledge. This innovation is probably a recent development brought by Sartar from the Holy Country (no doubt by a companion who was a Nochet LM Grey Sage).

There may be significant sections of the indigenous LM population who see this new-fangled literacy as wrong (not to mention a major fire-hazard) and against LM's ancient tenets - handed down in oral fashion of course. Perhaps only the major libraries in Jonstown and Boldhome have fully-literate collections - since these were set up by Sartar himself.

Do you think that Harvar might have set up a new library (in ostentatious mock-Dara Happan style) in Alda-chur?

Seven moms and seven lightbringers:

I always saw Duke Yanafal as the leader of the endeavour, and therefore Orlanth. Danfive was Eurmal.

La Toile D'Arachne Solara:

I can now offer a limited number of copies of the French zine The Web of Arachne Solara. The production quality and artwork in this are fantastic, and my French contacts tell me that the content is just as good. There are two issues out so far:

Issue #1 is a Malkioni special with information on the Rokari, Secrets of Malkion, RQ3 Sorcery, a chronology of Malkionism, and a investigative/political scenario called the Mists of Tarasdal.

Issue #2 is a Beastman special with articles on the Beast people, Centaurs, Minotaurs, Fawns and Ducks. It also has an additional A4 12 page pullout scenario the Mane of the Ancestors.

The zines are, of course, in French. They are broadsheet sized (that's like a big newspaper) and around 8 pages total for the main zine.

The cost per issues is 5.00 pounds folded, and 5.50 pounds sent unfolded in a stiff envelope (which unfortunately isn't quite long enough - so it might not be perfect). Add 10% for European orders and 30% for orders from elsewhere. UK funds only.

I only have eight copies of each issue so send me an email first if you want one.

RQ-Cons and Freeforms

I think I can speak for the other Megacorpers when I say that we'd love to attend *one* overseas convention in '96, '97, '98, etc. However, the meagre holiday allocations in the UK (not to mention funds) mean that two conventions in one year is pushing it rather.

We are working on a new freeform which we plan to have ready by 1997 (it won't be run first at Convulsion '96). It's entitled Reaching Moon Megacorp's Life of Moonson. It's for 50 players and will be set in Glamour at the Imperial Court. Does anybody want to host it?

Cheers,

David