Teshnan writing

From: Ralf Engels <a2230798_at_smail1.rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 21:54:53 +0200 (MET DST)

This is Ralf Engels writing,

        ... on the subject of Teshnan script.

IMHO, old high-teshnan script stems from the time of Zitro Argon's philosophical rule, way way back in the God Time; it is related to other ancient examples of Vithelan writing (Kralori, East Isles, ect). I think of it as being elaborate, unwieldy, hardly understood by more than two handful of priests and scholars living and, of course, not used any longer. My RW parallel would be the Mayan alphabet.

Next comes a somewhat degenerative form of this old high-teshnan, a little less unwieldy and philosophically complex, and a little better suited to things in the "real world". I'd call this one the high-teshnan script and think of it as a more demotic form of writing, used for inven- tories, temple communications and priestly edicts.

To make things relatively easy, in come the GL and their Middle Sea Empire. They take over Teshnos for something like 3 to 5 centuries, happily teaching the natives their nifty script.

So, nowadays, I think there are two alphabets in use in mainland Teshnos:

  1. The demotic high-teshnan one for official priestly inscriptions, edicts, property inventories and religious texts, and
  2. the "western" alphabet, still used for "private" means and even for semi-official scribblings.

This for now, take it or leave it ...

                                        R.