Sisters of Mercy

From: Dona Carlotta <escharf_at_seattleu.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 11:24:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 21 Aug 1995, Sandy Petersen wrote:

> Trolls don't ever "see it your way". Their own way is all that ever
> matters. Even their religions are based on this kind of psychology.
> Trolls worship Kyger Litor because she is their mother, and so she
> will be prejudiced in their favor. Trolls worship Zorak Zoran because
> he gives them great powers, and if you are a loner, family-less troll,
> the cult gives you an automatic family and friends (the similarities
> between ZZ and street gangs is pronounced).

        How does worship of Xiola Umbar figure in this perspective? By this reasoning, I find it difficult to understand why a non-trollkin would ever join Xiola Umbar. I once played a trollkin XU initiate (a midwife), and the players of other Uz found it difficult to reconcile the supposed reverence for the protection of XU's charges with the more traditional Uz behavior you describe. In fact, this dissonance led us to re-intepret XU as a sort of "Liberation Theology" for trollkin. Did we wrongly project human values onto an Uz power struggle? Does the fact that the Trollkin Curse occurred after the Compromise increase or decrease its impact on Uz psychological evolution?